Walking back to happiness

January 3, 2016

2016-01-03_002

Walking is very uplifting and I try to do it every day if I can. I can breathe the air into my lungs and clear my head. It gives me an opportunity to focus on my external surroundings rather than worrying about things.

Walking on holiday is best of all. The photo above was taken last summer while on the Precipice Walk, near Dolgellau. This a fabulous walk with amazing views for relatively little effort.

Whether I am holiday or not, walking is good for my health. A few years ago, I was involved in a 4 week trial of using a pedometer. I aimed for 10,000 steps a day. My percentage body fat decreased from the ’cause for concern’ bracket to the ‘healthy’ bracket. I had to return the pedometer at the end of the trial but ever since then I’ve been more conscious of the benefits of walking every day.

A couple of years ago, I changed job and moved house. There are some good walks near where I live, including a footpath that starts 50 yards from my front door. So there are lots of options for walking on the weekends or when I have a day off work.

During the working week, I think walking helps me to ‘unscrunch’ myself after a few hours sat in front of the computer indoors. But now that I work in a city centre office, there are fewer options for nice walks during my lunch break. And some days I don’t even get a proper lunch break.

Even worse, my knees were starting to get really sore. I suspected that this was caused by all the pavement-pounding I was doing walking to the train station and back every day. One July weekend last summer my knees were so painful, I rested in bed and ignored the pull of the lovely sunshine outside my window. My knees felt temporarily better but I didn’t want to give up on walking altogether.

So my husband recommended trying some walking trainers. We did some research and then I ordered a pair of Brooks Addiction Walker Ladies Walking Shoes from Millet Sports. Brooks have a reputation for making trainers that support feet properly, and I liked the fact that this particular style was available in a wide fitting.

As you can see from the photo below, these shoes have really thick soles, especially from the middle of the foot to the heel. The shoes feel very comfortable and supportive, and they have made a huge difference.

2016-01-03_001

I wear these fantastic walking trainers any time when I am going to walking on pavements, whether at the weekends or while walking to and from the train station on my commute. The fact that they are black means that I am not too embarrassed to be seen arriving at work with them on my feet! Then I change into normal shoes when I get to the office.

I am so happy that walking is a pleasure once again.

1. nessjibberjabberuk permalink
    January 4, 2016 7:08 am

I remember years ago many women had walking trainers and then changed once they arrived at the office. It doesn’t seem to be as popular now and yet heels look like they have got higher! I work from home so I can wear comfy shoes for the school walk. I don’t know how some mothers manage to do it in the footwear they have on!

2. January 4, 2016 7:47 am

So important to have the right footwear when walking or running – I am glad you have found some great shoes and getting out on your beloved walks again! x

3. January 4, 2016 7:58 am

I ws just thinking the other day whilst out walking the dog that I need a good pair of walking shoes rather than wellies.

4. January 4, 2016 7:59 am

I have some walking boots and they are fabulous as we do a lot of coastal path walking which can be precarious at times

5. January 4, 2016 2:20 pm

I started walking last year, currently I do a 5k walk everyday and it makes me feel wonderful, clears my head and I feel so much fitter!! I think I might have to invest in a good pair of walking shoes. 🙂

6. claremansell permalink
    January 4, 2016 8:34 pm

I do a LOT of walking and supportive shoes are So important. I bought a pair of DMs last year (a lot of my walking is just school runs and round town) but also a decent pair of slippers with a supportive sole because I actually clock up quite a lot of miles just walking round the house!

7. RachelInRealLife permalink
    January 5, 2016 5:13 pm

I don’t do much walking myself due to mobility issues and I miss nice coastal or woodland walks so when I do manage to get out for a lovely walk I really enjoy it. I’d be tempted to invest in a pair of walking boots or trainers if I walked more regularly.

8. January 6, 2016 9:42 pm

I love walking although I don’t do as much in the winter. We got a puppy last week and we’re all looking forward to going out walking with her when she’s ready.

9. January 15, 2016 6:54 pm

I miss ‘proper’ walking. I still try to do a little stroll when I can manage it, but it’s not the same. I hope they can fix my back one day, so I can do some proper rambling!