Why I’m quitting the magazine habit
Hello I’m Ruthy and I’m a magazine addict. Commuting by train every weekday means that I frequently pop into to WHSmiths to purchase yet another monthly mag. But as of today I am calling a halt to this habit for the following reasons:
- glossy magazines make me feel vaguely dissatisfied with my life
- there is too much temptation to buy things featured in the magazines, whether it is a new handbag or a recipe book
- the content is actually pretty repetitive and predictable, so now we are in October it is all about how to have the perfect Christmas and in January there will be diets aplenty…
- there is lots of interesting stuff to read online these days, including some fantastic blogs
- magazine issues pile up around the house and make the place look untidy
- they may only cost a few quid each, but I dread to think how much I have spent in total over the years…
I’ve made previous attempts to quit this habit but I am really determined to stop now. By saying this publicly here I hope that my willpower will be strengthened.
This also links in with my intention to collect moments not things. I’m going to keep track of the money saved by not buying magazines and put it towards a trip to Paris with two of my sisters in the spring. More news about that soon!