Decluttering with Sam Walker on the radio

September 12, 2015

Visiting Sam Walker

I was on Sunday Breakfast on BBC Radio 5 Live last weekend, helping presenter Sam Walker to declutter her wardrobe. The photo above shows me, my son and Sam standing next to Sam’s wardrobe just after we had finished recording.

The whole experience was great fun. Sam was every bit as lovely as she sounds on the radio! I really enjoyed showing her how to use the Konmari method of decluttering, as described in The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying’ by Marie Kondo.

We went through the following steps:

1. First we pulled Sam’s clothes out of the wardrobe and laid them on her bed.
  2. Then Sam picked up each item one at a time and decided whether that dress, top or skirt sparked joy.
  3. It was obvious which items of clothing brought Sam joy, because they made her smile – these clothes could be kept.
  4. If an item of clothing made Sam frown and pause then it was good indication that it was no longer bringing her joy, and that this item should go.

Sam got the hang of this really quickly, and soon there was a big pile of clothes to take to the charity shop. Some of the clothes in this pile still had tags on, but Sam admitted that she wasn’t likely to wear them. We put the clothes that brought joy back in her wardrobe.

There was also a very small pile of clothes where the decision was less clear-cut. I suggested that Sam should put these clothes to one side and revisit them in a few months.

Later that day, Sam told me that her husband also had the bug and had done even better than she did.

It just goes to show that the Konmari approach is very simple to use. One of the reasons it works is that it gives you permission to keep the items that bring you joy and to get rid of the items that do not.

It also gives you confidence to know more about what suits you, and helps you to make better decisions about what to buy in future. This should lead to fewer items hanging in your wardrobe unworn with the tags still on!

If you want to listen, I have saved the 5 minute clip from ‘Sunday Breakfast’ 06/09/2015 on my audioboom account. Please note, this works best on a desktop or laptop computer and may not work on mobile phones or tablets.

1. September 12, 2015 6:31 pm

Well done on your radio feature! I love the idea of asking yourself if the item sparks joy as the basis to keep or chuck. Sometimes we make these decisions with our heads not our hearts and a much loved but little used piece may end up gone!

• September 13, 2015 9:03 am

Exactly!

So many books about decluttering give you a series of questions (have you used this in the last year? are you likely to use it in the next year? is it in a good state of repair? etc).

The reason the Konmari approach works for me is that I can make better decisions with my heart than with my head, and I’m less likely to throw out something I will miss later.

2. September 12, 2015 8:03 pm

Well done you! I am an expert de-clutterer… almost too good though. I keep throwing stuff out then missing it! :S

• September 13, 2015 8:57 am

If you’re throwing stuff out then missing it, perhaps you are throwing out some things that spark joy?

Through using the Konmari approach I have had more confidence to keep some things, even if it is not ‘sensible’ or ‘logical’ to keep them, simply because they spark joy. So, for example, my old scruffy top that I bought on honeymoon. It still brings me joy, so I’m keeping it!

3. September 12, 2015 11:34 pm

Not heard of that approach before. Will have to try it as I am so bad at hoarding things

4. September 13, 2015 7:51 am

I SO need to do this….I need to have a big clear out, I’m such a hoarder! Great way to get rid of anything that doesn’t bring you joy, I really like that approach!

• September 13, 2015 9:08 am

Give it a go – personally I have found it the most effective way to have a clear out, so it might work for you too!

5. September 13, 2015 6:18 pm

This is such a great idea on a way to declutter I’m going to have to give it a try. x

6. nessjibberjabberuk permalink
    September 13, 2015 8:46 pm

The clothes that don’t bring me joy are the smart ones which I have to keep for those occasional events. I don’t have the money to buy new ones and I rarely find clothing in my size anyway so they will have to stay!

7. September 14, 2015 11:00 am

I need to have a big declutter. will give this a go.

8. September 14, 2015 1:07 pm

I really need a good declutter, How fab getting on the radio, off to have listen 🙂

9. karaguppy2015 permalink
    September 15, 2015 6:52 am

What a fabulous idea – I have things in my wardrobe that I never wear and really should get rid of them

10. September 15, 2015 6:40 pm

I’m definitely going to give this a try. Long overdue a clear out!

11. Michelle Twin Mum permalink
    September 15, 2015 11:12 pm

I think I need to do this but sadly there mght be a lot of clothes that make me frown and need to go! Mich x

12. September 18, 2015 8:23 pm

I love the Kon-Marie method! Have gradually been Kondo-ing my house for a few months, although it’s not too bad to start with. Congratulations on your radio appearance too.

13. September 24, 2015 8:13 pm

I never heard of the Konmari method before but it does sound like a good way to declutter, if not the best!xx