Three favourite thrifty finds

June 2, 2014

I am still trying really, really hard to declutter. So sackfuls and boxes of stuff have been donated to the charity shops and I am strenuously resisting buying anything else. Instead of a recent find, here are three of my favourite thrifty finds from the last 12 months.

First up is this lovely turquoise vanity case, which was on top of pile of small suitcases in front of a second-hand shop on the Wollaton Road in Beeston. Apparently it had only been on the pile for a few minutes when I spotted it. It only cost me £7.99 and is in really good condition, with no rust on the metal, and no musty smell inside. I suspect that it had hardly been used by its original owner, but I am using it now to store my make-up.
Image

When I first saw this set of five nesting Russian Dolls on the shelf in the Cancer Research Shop in Marple I thought they would make a great gift. Then I decided that I could not bear to give them away! The proper name for these is Matryoshka. They are thought to represent motherhood. I just think they are very beautiful! With raspberry red shawls and teal skirts, they combine two of my favourite colours. My son is enjoying playing with them too. And they only cost £3!

Image

Finally, this Thetford tray with a retro floral pattern in blue and purple was just £2.50 from the ‘Vintage and Retro’ section of the Sue Ryder Shop in Beeston. When I saw it in the shop it looked a bit faded, but it has scrubbed up beautifully. I love it! It looks great in the blue kitchen in our new house.
Image

I’m linking up with Magpie Monday at Me and my shadow. (I hope you won’t mind Liz, that I haven’t found anything new this week!)

1. June 2, 2014 8:16 pm

What gorgeous finds…I love your vanity case and tray and my daughter has been look for a set of matryoshka dolls for a while now 🙂

2. June 2, 2014 8:38 pm

Oooh what pretty blues and turquoises! The vanity case is absolutely gorgeous, well they all are I can see why they’re your favourites. Thank you for sharing and linking up x

• June 2, 2014 9:21 pm

Yes I love a bit of blue and turquoise, that’s probably why these are my favourites x

3. June 3, 2014 9:35 am

Gorgeous things! I’m always drawn towards blues. Love the floral pattern on your vintage tray and that vanity case is a beauty – looks in such good nick!

• June 5, 2014 11:18 am

I’m seem to more drawn towards blues now that I am in a house with a blue kitchen and blue bedrooms. Still love orange though! The vanity case is in amazing nick – I suspect it hadn’t seen the light of day for decades!

4. June 5, 2014 6:31 am

love the little vanity case and the tray too! i didn’t know that matrioshka dolls represented motherhood, it’s nice to know!

• June 5, 2014 11:19 am

I must admit I looked up ‘Russian dolls’ on Wikipedia to find out more about them!