Magpie Monday – Playpeople Doctors and Nurses Super Set

August 6, 2012

Playpeople Doctors and Nurses Super Set

I am so very excited with this recent eBay find! It is the very same ‘Playpeople Doctors and Nurses Super Set’ that my sister Lucy and I had in the mid 1970s when we were little. And still in the original box with most of the bits!

I was inspired to do a quick search for ‘vintage Playmobil’ on eBay after reading this post about Vintage Toys on the Lulastic and the Hippy Shake blog. And this Doctors and Nurses Set appeared at the top of the list as it was ‘ending soon’. So I couldn’t resist buying it. I don’t have many of my childhood toys to pass on to my son, because my mum believed that toys should be played with and not kept in boxes gathering dust. And I agree with her. But it is always nice to give a new home to an old toy, especially if that toy is one you remember fondly from when you were a kid.

My son is enjoying playing with this set just as much as I did when I was a child, as you can see in the bottom left of the photo above. Of course, my son knows this type of toy as ‘Playmobil’ because he already has a couple of sets of the modern stuff. Our favourite is the Family Camper pictured below.

Playmobil – 3647 Family Camper

I’m joining in with this week’s Magpie Monday linky which always contains lots of fantastic examples of pre-loved treasure that people have found.

1. August 6, 2012 10:39 am

I’m getting a strange feeling of deja-vu looking at this. I wonder if I had one in the 70s too, or if I remember it from a friend or cousin?

Great set, I’d love a play with that!

• August 7, 2012 7:32 am

I bet it’s not half as strong as the feeling of deja vu I get from this!

It is a lovely set, and it’s fun to see my little boy playing with it.
      🙂

2. August 6, 2012 11:22 am

I am pretty certain I had this set too! Or something very similar… I used to adore Playmobil and would love to get some for my LM. Will have to start scouring ebay for some bargains 😉

3. August 6, 2012 12:22 pm

I don’t remember having ANY playmobil, was I deprived? I think we’ve always been faithful to lego, even though it’s so much more painful to tread on. Lovely set though.

• August 6, 2012 12:59 pm

I didn’t have any playmobil either, I don’t think.
      Great find, Ruthy 🙂

• August 7, 2012 7:39 am

Thanks Hannah 🙂 I suspect Playmobil was a lot less common in the 1970s-80s than it is now.

• August 7, 2012 7:37 am

We had loads of Lego too. Tried to build a wall across our bedroom and ran out of bricks! Mum was forever complaining about the pain caused by standing on bricks in the dark! And now of course I am discovering that particular joy for myself 😉

I think Playmobil was possibly seen as a funny, foreign brand (hence calling this set ‘Playpeople’)

4. August 6, 2012 7:35 pm

Ooh I love Playmobil, what a lovely set. Playmobil is the only of my children’s toys that I’ve kept for visiting children to play with. I really love the doctors and nurses set – with the crutches, fab!

• August 7, 2012 7:41 am

I’ve loved Playmobil ever since I had this set as a child. The crutches are fab and I love their little hats too!

5. August 7, 2012 12:17 pm

I LOVE Playmobil, it was one of the only toys I remember getting excited about buying my son. I think I got on his nerves setting up all the little scenes and he got on my nerves destroying them by playing with them, I mean how very dare he and all that 😉

• August 7, 2012 8:29 pm

I was almost tempted to keep this vintage Playmobil set to myself for that very reason 😉 But toys are meant to be played with.