Magpie Monday – tray chic!

July 16, 2012

I’ve just had a really lovely and relaxing weekend. Three of my best friends stayed over whilst my husband and son went to stay with my mother-in-law.

We did lots of stitching, chatting, watching Sherlock, drinking tea and eating. (I’ll report back on the stitching in a separate post.)

On Saturday, my friends and I went shopping in Beeston and I took a bag of stuff to drop off at one of the charity shops and naturally enough we had a quick look round while we were there.

The first item I found was this orange flowery tray manufactured by Thetford Moulded Products Ltd. It was in the ‘Retro’ section of the Sue Ryder shop and cost £5. I’m pretty sure this design dates from the 1960s. I’m planning to use it to serve drinks on the patio, when summer finally arrives! We have some orange picnicware which will look great with it.

Orange flowery tray, made by Thetford

I don’t normally have much luck finding nice clothes for my little boy in charity shops but this time I managed to find a gorgeous Oshkosh shirt for £1.99 in Oxfam. The fabric is lovely and soft and the blue and red check will look fab worn with jeans.

Oshkosh shirt

Finally, I bought Hannah and her Sisters on dvd for £2 in Oxfam Books & Music. I’ve always had a soft spot for this particular Woody Allen film, because it is one of his sweeter and more upbeat stories. Plus my youngest sister Hannah was born a year after it was released and people used to address family Christmas cards ‘To Hannah and her sisters’.

Hannah and her Sisters dvd

So the three items together did not exceed the £10 maximum spend I usually aim to keep to when on thrift shopping trips.

I’m linking up with this week’s Magpie Monday at Me & My Shadow. Liz has found a couple of really sweet Womble-related items and reminded me how good the Wombles were at recycling! I’ll also be checking out what other pre-loved treasure my fellow magpies have found this week.

PS apologies for the punning title this week – I couldn’t resist!

1. July 16, 2012 10:11 am

Oooh Tray Chic indeed!

Sounds like you’ve had a fabulous weekend.

I don’t know that film – I’ll have to seek it out. x

• July 16, 2012 3:59 pm

Yes we really enjoyed our weekend. It was fun to have friends to stitch and go thrift shopping with. x

2. July 16, 2012 4:48 pm

What a bold and fab print – makes me feel summery just looking at it!

3. July 16, 2012 8:43 pm

I joined in with Magpie Mondays too! I love the shirt you bought for your son, i always get them for my little boy too, cant go wrong with a checked shirt!
    Aqeela xx

• July 20, 2012 6:42 am

I know – checked shirts are fab! I was so pleased to find this one because the local charity shops rarely have boys clothes in the right size.

4. July 16, 2012 8:52 pm

That sounds like a lovely weekend. I would have snapped up that tray and shirt as well! I’ve never seen Hannah and her sisters, I’ll have to look out for it!

• July 20, 2012 6:44 am

It was one of the best weekends I’ve had in ages. And the tray makes me smile every time I see it 🙂

5. lulastic permalink
    July 17, 2012 11:01 am

I absolutely luurrrve that tray! I have an old tray from my Nana that I love

• July 20, 2012 6:47 am

If you ever come to Nottingham you must check out the charity shops in Beeston they are fab! I always leave so much good stuff behind because there’s a limit to how much I can carry home and (how much my husband will let me bring in the house)

6. July 19, 2012 9:43 pm

Love the shirt! Good find. Glad you had such a nice weekend 🙂

• July 20, 2012 6:53 am

Yes it’s such a lovely shirt I wouldn’t have minded one in a in grown up size for me 😉 And the weekend was fab we’re trying to arrange another one (but at this rate it’ll be about a year before we’re all free at the same time…)