Sleeping like a princess in my new Ikea bed

June 30, 2012

Once upon a time we were struggling to sleep well. We tried everything. Expensive new pillows. Herbal sleeping tablets (me) and prescription sleeping tablets (him). An alarm clock that mimicked the sunset and sunrise. We even tried sleeping in separate beds. But no matter what we did, every night we failed to sleep properly and woke up with aching necks and shoulders.

One day in early June, the pain in my neck and shoulders was so severe that I could barely get myself dressed or brush my hair. Pain killers helped a bit. But I decided we couldn’t go on like this any more.

So we went to Ikea and bought a new bed and a new mattress and slept happily ever after from that night to this.

It was only after we bought the new bed that I noticed that Ikea are currently advertising their beds with the slogan ‘everyone can sleep like a princess’. So now I can say that I am sleeping like a princess on my new Ikea bed.

It really has made a massive difference to the quality of our sleep. When my husband went away for a couple of days he phoned me and said, “I miss that bed so much!” He hastened to add that he missed me too, but the bed was the first thing he mentioned.

Our new bed is as comfortable as the most comfortable hotel room bed. We also treated ourselves to new bedlinen and a new duvet, and I have an Ikea pillow too.

Here are some photos:

Ikea Duken bed and bedlinen

Our new Ikea bed and bedlinen

The mattress is pocket-sprung with an integral memory foam mattress pad on top

The padded headboard is designed to be comfortable for reading in bed

Here are my tips for choosing and buying the perfect Ikea bed and mattress for you:

• do some research on the beds section of the Ikea website first
  • go to Ikea on a weekday morning and allow plenty of time to test out the various mattresses in the shop
  • find a helpful sales assistant to make sure that all the correct components have been ordered from the warehouse for you
  • you can pay for the large and heavy components to be delivered to your house, but it is worth taking more portable items home in your car to keep the delivery costs down

We got the Duken bed frame with the Hjartdal mattress in king size (160 x 200cm). We managed to get the bed delivered to us the same day we bought it, but if we had shopped later in the day it would have been delivered the next day.

Finally, if the mattress you choose doesn’t suit you then you have the option of exchanging it so long as you do this within 90 days – the Love it or exchange it page on the Ikea website has the details about this. But we love our mattress so much that we are not planning to exchange it.

This bed, mattress and bedlinen was bought and paid for by us, but I decided to write a blogpost to record just how impressed we are with it all.

Update 9th July 2014 – I still think this is the best bed ever, so I’m linking this post up with The Good Things at Margot and Barbara.

The Good Things
  1. Missus Tribble permalink
    June 30, 2012 12:43 pm

We have a lovely pine bed, but the mattress (which I brought to the house with me because D’s was lumpy and horrid) was giving out.

I came into a small inheritance after my Nan died – and she always knew that I have trouble sleeping. So I knew she wouldn’t mind my splashing out on a memory foam matterss, memory foam pillows, new support pillows and new bedding.

I love sinking into bed now 🙂

• June 30, 2012 1:19 pm

That sounds like an excellent way to spend an inheritance – good quality sleep is worth paying for 🙂

2. June 30, 2012 4:11 pm

It’s amazing the difference a good mattress can make to an aching back and neck isn’t it. Glad you’ve managed to sort it!

• July 1, 2012 7:59 am

Yes. If I had known what an amazing difference it would make I would have got myself along to Ikea sooner!

3. Erica Price permalink
    July 1, 2012 8:41 am

I’d love a new bed or just a new mattress – need one soft side and one harder side.

• July 2, 2012 6:54 pm

The mattress we got is described as being ‘firm’ which is why my husband chose it. But the integral memory foam topper makes it soft enough to meet my requirements too. Good luck with finding a solution that works for you.

4. July 1, 2012 4:51 pm

I am in love with my bed too. I must take a photo and blog it. Its made of the most gorgeous rose wood.
    So pleased you are happy 🙂

5. Petr Chval permalink
    January 1, 2013 8:01 pm

Hi MinibreakMummy! Me and my wife are thinking about buying Duken bedframe. However, my wife is worried that after some time it might make a creaking noise when you move while sleeping (she does not trust the metal frame). Could you please share your experience after six months of using this bed? Thanks a lot!
    Petr

• January 1, 2013 8:48 pm

I still love this bed. It doesn’t make a creaking noise when you move while sleeping.

6. January 13, 2013 11:01 pm

Do you know the maximum height for under bed storage?

7. July 10, 2014 11:16 pm

For a minute there I thought you were going to discover a pea under your mattress 🙂

It’s so important to have a comfortable bed and mattress – I suspect many of us should probably get a new mattress but we never give it a second thought. Sweet dreams…

• July 20, 2014 1:10 pm

I’m not a real princess so I probably wouldn’t notice a pea underneath my mattress 😉

Yes it is important to have a comfortable bed and mattress. It has made such a difference to me over the last 2 years since I bought this!

8. emmacavill permalink
    July 14, 2014 9:45 pm

You really can’t beat a good bed and mattress! Yours looks fab! I have been toying with the idea of a mattress topper, it does look mega comfy!!

• July 20, 2014 1:14 pm

The reason we got a mattress with a mattress topper was that my husband wanted a sprung mattress and I don’t like to be able to feel the springs!! Also the mattress topper has a washable cover which means we can keep it clean.

9. skinnerharper permalink
    July 15, 2014 5:24 am

Ikea beds are the bomb. We have the huge Malm bed and a gorgeous Ikea mattress – it’s the best sleep ever!

• July 20, 2014 1:06 pm

I had a Malm bed in a rented flat and it was extremely nice – that’s why I thought to look there when we needed a new bed! The only downside with the Malm bed was I occasionally bashed my shins on the wooden surround.

10. Mrsr3 permalink
    July 2, 2015 5:31 am

Hi, may i know the capacity weight of this bed frame. Does duken can support until 500 lbs (for 2 adult included mattress) I would be much appreciated if you could advise me, since i am afraid it will be not sturdy. Do you think is it possible? Thank you so much:)

• July 2, 2015 2:44 pm

It is study enough for us, but other than that I cannot advise. Perhaps you can contact Ikea and ask them?

11. Mrsr3 permalink
    July 3, 2015 1:00 am

Thank you minibreakmummy for your response 🙂 if you dont mind would you inform me approx. weight of your mattress. So, i can guess max.load. Unfortunately, our local ikea people are not well informed 😦

1. Minibreak Mummy is back! | minibreak mummy