Staying at The Hoxton for BritMums Live!

June 27, 2012

Last Friday I stayed in The Hoxton on Great Eastern Street in London. It was handy for BritMums Live!. Loads of my blogging friends were staying there, which was great. It made it much easier to bump into people.

But what about the hotel itself? Well I liked the way the room looked. Here are some photos:

Queen-sized bed

Interesting artwork on the walls

TV/desk/tea things

Me, reflected in the bathroom mirror

Breakfast

I rather liked the ‘brown bag breakfast’ too. This consisted of a banana, granola yogurt and orange juice from Pret a Manger and was delivered to my room by 7am as requested.

As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, I chose this hotel because of its proximity to BritMums Live (which was in central London) and because lots of other friends were staying there for the event. But I was surprised how noisy it was on the Friday evening. A trendy bar with loud music and loud conversations in the hotel did not make for a good night’s sleep. There was also a loud firework display nearby.

I think I need to find a London hotel in a quieter location, and which doesn’t have a bar. If you’re not a fogey like me, and would prefer a decent bar to an early night, this is probably a great hotel.

I’ll be adding this post to the BritMums Live! linky – along with my earlier post about the event itself.

1. Missus Tribble permalink
    June 28, 2012 10:55 am

I see your laptop there – did you have to pay for internet access or was that included in the price of the room?

I ask because the husband and I are off to the Birmingham Discworld Convention in August and the hotel charges a serious amount of cash for half an hour. We’re not bothering with the laptops!

(It’s not even as though the rooms are all that – and the place is a Hilton…)

• June 28, 2012 3:24 pm

Wifi was included in the price of the room and worked well. It really irritates me when hotels charge extra for it.

• Missus Tribble permalink
        June 29, 2012 10:05 am

It annoys me too – but I’m spoiled by Hope Orchard (where we stay to visit Cheltenham) because everything – including internet – is included in the room price!

Believe it or not the rooms at the Hilton are completely inferior to Hope Orchard, but twice the price (and that’s at a hefty Convention discount). They even charge for parking! Thankfully this will be our last Con for a long time – although I might try to squeeze in some cheaper Doctor Who/sci-fi cons with a friend next year (London Expo is supposed to be good).

2. June 29, 2012 10:35 am

I was staying at The Hoxton too! Love it – I used to live round the corner and stayed here on my wedding night! Fab to meet you.

• June 30, 2012 1:22 pm

Fab to meet you too. I hope you get chance to meet up with my sister Alice again sometime soon.
      And it’s so cool that you stayed at The Hoxton on your wedding night!

3. July 9, 2012 7:55 am

I think it depends what floor you were (with regards to the noise) we didn’t hear a thing! However it felt a little bit like a prison to me, as you wander the dark grey corridors looking for the room. It was fairly close to the venue though.