Magpie Monday – more cross stitch books and buttons

May 21, 2012

I grab any opportunity I can to pop into charity shops to see if there is anything good on sale. Earlier this week, I was in Cambridge for a two day work meeting. I thought I’d been stuck in a basement meeting room the whole time, but it was decided that people needed a comfort/fag break so I nipped into the Cancer Research shop across the road.

I returned to the meeting room clutching this:

‘Picture it in Cross Stitch’ was published in 1996 and is one of the all time classic cross stitch books. This revised and updated edition was published in 2008. The charity shop copy I found was in mint condition and it only cost £1 because there was an ‘all books £1’ offer. The book contains lots of ideas for creating your own sampler designs. The page shown below contains instructions for designing a sampler including a picture of the house where you live.

I also found a couple more cross stitch books recently, including ‘Two-Hour Cross-Stitch’ with lots of ideas for little motifs and a Jane Greenoff cross stitch book. The latter book was in a Birmingham charity shop that I popped into when I was heading to BlogCampUK.

Two more cross stitch books

One of the things that attracted me about the ‘Two-Hour Cross-Stitch’ book was that some of the motifs include buttons.

Motifs with buttons

I’ve been buying more old buttons, including two more of little bags of buttons for £1.99 a bag from the local Oxfam shop and a strip of little pink buttons.

So these are my pre-loved finds. What have you found?

I’m linking up with this week’s Magpie Monday at Me & My Shadow.

1. May 21, 2012 10:23 am

Haha love a good sneak out to a charity shop mid-meeting ;0)

Those motifs with buttons are really cute. Nice finds x

2. May 21, 2012 10:36 am

Lovely things! I’m toying with the idea of creating my own cross stitch sampler with a picture of our house/car/us on it, the book looks brilliant.

• May 21, 2012 10:50 am

Get yourself a copy of the ‘Picture it in cross stitch today’ book – it’s really, really good. Both amazon.co.uk and abebooks.co.uk have second hand copies available.

3. May 21, 2012 10:45 am

Good skills on the mid work charity shop dash! I love the Grandpa snoozing in his chair motif!

• May 21, 2012 4:45 pm

I love that motif too – there’s a lot of humour and warmth in Jo Verso’s designs.

4. May 21, 2012 10:49 am

Love the cross stitch books! Can’t wait to see what you make.

• May 21, 2012 5:24 pm

I’ve still got a bit of a backlog of unfinished stitching projects but I will post photos of completed stuff as part of the ‘needlework days’ linky at Feisty Tapas

5. May 21, 2012 12:57 pm

Hehe, lol, yeah. I need a very serious looking suitcase to carry with me at all ties to stash the things I find when out and about for work!

Love the buttons- the red ones are heavenly.

• May 22, 2012 8:57 am

I tend to carry reusable cloth shopping bags that scrunch up small. That way I can always transport charity shop purchases home 🙂

The red buttons are lovely – I’m trying to decide whether to use them on an item of clothing or for craft projects.

6. May 21, 2012 1:16 pm

Love all your cross stitch bits, especially the two hour book, love anything crafty that can be finished within two hours!!

• May 21, 2012 4:48 pm

I’m the same – especially now I’m trying to squeeze crafty stuff in amongst other things. I can just about stitch with my little boy around but he keeps coming over to chat and that slows me down.

7. May 21, 2012 2:44 pm

I haven’t turn Cross stitch in years .. xx looks good xx

8. May 21, 2012 4:52 pm

Lovely finds small x-stitch motifs always come in handy for cards etc
    Also loving the buttons!

• May 21, 2012 5:26 pm

Yes I like doing quick cards too. Sometimes I do quite a small motif on aida and fray the edges to use as a card topper.
      And buttons are always good 🙂

9. May 21, 2012 5:57 pm

hehe love that you popped out for a charity shop fix 🙂

• May 21, 2012 7:22 pm

Yes other popped out for a fag, I popped out to the charity shop 🙂

It caused much amusement (but a couple of people were coveting the book I bought)

10. May 21, 2012 6:13 pm

OH if you love cross stitch books I can get you squillions ! There are loads in my local charity shop all usually priced around £1 !

11. May 21, 2012 9:28 pm

Ooh buttons, I keep looking out for some. Great for card making etc. Fab finds 🙂

12. May 21, 2012 10:39 pm

I really do love buttons! Do you have a lovely tin to keep them all in? I used to love going through my Grandma’s button tin when I was little. My Mum didn’t have hers in a tin, it wasn’t as much fun! x

13. singlemarriedmum permalink
    May 21, 2012 11:55 pm

I’ve never tried cross stitch – always thought it would take ages, but reading your post and looking at the lovely books you picked up, I realise I’m probably wrong! The little motifs are gorgeous and love the idea of putting them on cards 🙂

14. May 23, 2012 12:07 pm

Someone has much more patients than me! What an inspiring find.

15. Jen Stanbrook permalink
    May 27, 2012 4:24 pm

I just love rummaging in charity shops, you never know quite what you will find. Enjoy your book and 2 hour projects!

1. Magpie Monday – the joy of charity shops « minibreak mummy