F-cup me! – how the right bra has transformed the way I look and feel

May 16, 2012

I went to the CybHer event for female bloggers on Saturday and popped into the Freya bra fitting booth to check my bra size.

I was asked when I had last been measured and had to confess that it was years ago, before pregnancy, breastfeeding, weight gain and weight loss. I felt a bit sheepish about this as I know you’re supposed to get measured every so often to check whether your size has changed.

So I probably shouldn’t have been too surprised to discover that I should be wearing a 32F and not the 36D I had on. But I was very surprised indeed. ‘F’ sounds huge and ’32’ sounds very slim. I would never have guessed that I was a 32F.

I tried one of the Freya bras on to check the fit and it felt much more comfortable than the old 32D I was wearing. I didn’t want to put the old bra back on.

On Sunday I went into Nottingham and bought myself some new Freya bras from Bravissimo. My ‘What I did at #CybHer‘ audioboo includes a description of being measured up on the Saturday and explains why I bought the new bras.

The style of bra I chose is the ‘Faye Balcony Bra’ – I got one white, one black and two ‘creme caramel’. I also got some matching shorts.

I have been wearing my new bras for 3 days now and am looking and feeling much better for it. (And my husband is quite impressed too!)

This is a slideshow which shows I look wearing the same dress with my old bra and new bra underneath:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

In order to take the photos for this, I have just put my old bra back on. It feels extremely uncomfortable. My boobs feel too heavy and unsupported and my shoulders and back are already starting to ache. I don’t know why I didn’t get measured sooner.

Oxfam are accepting donations of bras at the moment as part of their ‘Big Bra Hunt‘ so next weekend I’ll be taking all of my old bras to the nearest Oxfam shop.

1. amanda permalink
    May 16, 2012 7:46 pm

OMG…why didn’t I go back, they were desperate to measure me!!!

2. May 16, 2012 7:48 pm

Blimey!!

3. May 16, 2012 7:51 pm

Yay, so glad you got fitted and have been to Bravissimo (I do love Bravissimo), I am all for well supported boobs!

• May 16, 2012 9:12 pm

Thanks so much for alerting me to the Freya stand – it’s because of that that I decided to check them out 🙂

4. May 16, 2012 7:53 pm

I love Bravissimo …. the right bra so makes the difference!

5. Missus Tribble permalink
    May 16, 2012 7:54 pm

I spent most of my life as a 34B. Thanks to an epilepsy med a couple of years ago I banged on a bunch of water retention and went up to a 42F!!

Thankfully I’m down to my normal weight now, and a respectable 38C. I’m not used to it yet though, and still struggle with “the girls”.

A well-fitting bra is pure bliss though, isn’t it? 🙂

• May 16, 2012 9:13 pm

Yes it is blissful to be wearing a well-fitting bra 🙂

I thought you looked fab in your wedding photos Missus so you must have the right bra on too!

6. May 16, 2012 8:04 pm

OOOH my this brilliant .. I too am getting a new bra because of Cybher MRs Tapas caught me after my fitting and thought I was impressive in my size… x

• May 16, 2012 8:23 pm

You girls are going to get me a bit of an odd reputation 😉 Ruth already tweeted that it was me who sent her to get a fitting! But I guess in the offline life I have always been all about regular fittings and bras with good support so I guess it’s “fitting” 😉

• May 16, 2012 9:14 pm

Cool – let me know how you get on

7. actuallymummy permalink
    May 16, 2012 8:12 pm

Get measured Amanda. It will change the way you look at your boobs forever! I went from 36 c to 34 dd and never looked back. I do, however look awful in strapless dresses and swimsuits! You look ace Ruth!! V brave post too

• May 16, 2012 9:10 pm

Thanks! It’s good to hear I look ace 🙂

As for being brave, I did pause before posting this slideshow but it seemed the best way to show what a transformation it was!

I’m surprised you can’t find a swimsuit to suit – have you tried Bravissimo?

• actuallymummy permalink
        May 16, 2012 9:11 pm

Yes! I am now my mother!

8. May 16, 2012 8:16 pm

I am so glas you got sorted

9. May 16, 2012 8:16 pm

That’s so good. Need to do this…..sigh

10. May 16, 2012 8:32 pm

amazing! I’m gonna go wild and buy god knows how many new bras.

11. May 16, 2012 8:36 pm

Wow, look at the difference. Your chest looks smaller in your new bra, more pert and lovely.Freya bras rock!

• May 16, 2012 9:05 pm

Thanks so much for getting Freya along to CybHer. Otherwise I might have ended up going another few years without getting measured!

12. May 16, 2012 9:11 pm

Oh I wish I can gone back to get fitted! I need to go do this.
    But Oxfam surely won’t want my brassieres. No one is that desperate. 😳

• May 16, 2012 9:21 pm

Yes do it. Get yourself fitted.
      And take your old bras to Oxfam. They say “Big, small, worn a lot, not worn at all – we want your bras!”

13. May 16, 2012 9:32 pm

Isn’t it amazing how great a well-fitting bra feels isn’t it?! For years I wore a 38DD and had that 4 boob look for ages. It turns out I have a tiny back so I’m actually a 32E. 🙂

• May 17, 2012 9:54 am

Similar to me then
      It was lovely to meet you on Saturday and your Dashing Divas site is fab 🙂

• May 17, 2012 3:13 pm

Ahh thank you! Lovely to meet you too. 🙂 I’ll have a proper read of your blog tomorrow. Got a day off between leaving my permenant job and going freelance.

14. May 16, 2012 11:01 pm