Magpie Monday – a little bit Random

May 7, 2012

My sister Lucy was visiting this weekend, and her husband kindly looked after the children so that she and I could go into Nottingham city centre to do a bit of shopping. Lucy is not massively into charity shops but she agreed I could have a quick look in the British Heart Foundation shop on Bridlesmith Gate.

I headed straight for the china and glass and immediately spotted a set of two dinner plates, two side plates and two bowls with a border pattern of grey, olive and burgandy squares and lines. The colours looked perfect for the caravan, and at Β£3.99 for the 6 items it wouldn’t matter if something got broken. I turned a plate over and saw that the backstamp said ‘Glo-White Ironstone – Alfred Meakin England – Random’. More Meakin!

I dithered a bit and Lucy suggested I should imagine myself getting the bus home. Would I regret it if I hadn’t bought the set? I instantly knew I would regret not buying these plates and bowls and I bought them without any hesitation. And I’m so glad I did. The set looks great in the caravan as can be seen from the photos below.

I’m linking up with Magpie Monday at the Me & My Shadow blog.

1. May 7, 2012 9:24 am

Ha! ‘Random’ is practically my favourite word.

They do look right at home in your caravan, what a great buy.

Lovely photos too. x

2. May 7, 2012 10:35 am

They look fab, a great buy!

3. Missus Tribble permalink
    May 7, 2012 11:05 am

Wonderful finds as always Ruth!

• May 8, 2012 8:08 am

Thanks Missus! Sometimes I go in 8 charity shops and find nothing. This time I only went in one shop and found something rather nice.

4. May 7, 2012 11:16 am

Random also one of my fave words. Meakin is worth money I think. Striking pattern – well done you

• May 8, 2012 8:59 am

Thanks! This particular Alfred Meakin design doesn’t seem particularly pricy at the moment but I like it.

5. May 7, 2012 5:16 pm

You’ve definitely got a Meakin thing going on! Lovely plates – perfect in your caravan.

• May 8, 2012 9:01 am

Yes I’m definitely spotting a lot of Meakin at the moment πŸ™‚ And the plates look even nicer in the caravan than I thought they would.

6. May 8, 2012 12:06 am

Gorgeous plates! Well found πŸ™‚ look super cool against that charcoal-y grey

7. pennyalexander permalink
    May 8, 2012 9:14 pm

You’re really inspiring me to spend more time rummaging in charity shops you know πŸ™‚ Great idea for caravan stuff too, taking note!

• May 9, 2012 7:41 am

Hooray! (I suggest you try the charity shops in the city centre if you’re after cheap stuff for the caravan – the charity shops near your house are at the pricier end)