Magpie Monday – more Meakin

April 30, 2012

I managed to get some more J & G Meakin Studio items in the local Treetops Hospice shop on Saturday. I really love this J & G Meakin Studio stuff, it is perfect for my 1960s house.

This time I found a milk jug and a sugar bowl plus a nice big platter, costing a total of £3.50, which seemed like very good value. These three items have quite a subtle print.

Milk jug and sugar bowl

Platter

My 'Aztec' coffee pot with 'Allegro' sugar bowl and milk jug

Having found my  ‘Topic tureen‘ last week, I already knew that the J & G Meakin China and Pottery website is a really good place to find out more about which pattern is which, and it turns out that the items I found on Saturday were from the 1964 Allegro range. The shape is exactly the same, it is just the design of the transfers that is different.

I think the Allegro range looks very modern and stylish, and I wouldn’t mind acquiring more of it. But it’s quite fun mixing up the different designs rather than having everything matching. The bottom photo shows my ‘Aztec’ coffee pot (which used to belong to Mum’s grandma, Granny Cox) with my newly-acquired ‘Allegro’ sugar bowl and milk jug and I think you will agree they complement each other rather well.

And just in case you think I have no willpower, I did resist buying some rather tempting Denby and Royal Worcester items from the same charity shop. There is a limit to my budget and how much I can carry – and I guess I’m in Meakin mode at the moment!

This post will be linked up with Magpie Monday at the Me & My Shadow blog. I never cease to be amazed and inspired by the wonderful pre-loved treasure that people manage to find and re-house.

1. April 30, 2012 11:01 am

Wow! You’re on a roll now.

I remember so many of these patterns, being a child of the 70’s I think lots of family members had dinner services in these ranges.

2. April 30, 2012 11:15 am

Oh yes, I love these 60s patterns and shapes – fab. The coffee pot is a particular beauty, I’d definitely give that house room.

3. April 30, 2012 12:10 pm

Wow fab bargains that platter is so lovely!

• April 30, 2012 4:02 pm

Yes I’m particularly impressed with the platter and expect to get lots of use out of it.

4. April 30, 2012 12:51 pm

Funnily enough I have two tureens with this Allegro pattern on! I am not hugely beholden to it because of its “modern feel” as you mention, but seeing it here on your blog makes me like it a little bit more 🙂

• April 30, 2012 4:05 pm

What I like about the Allegro pattern is that it is quite neutral and goes well with the Aztec and Topic items I already have. But I agree that it is not the most exciting of patterns.

If you ever decide to get rid of your Allegro tureens you could always send them my way 😉

5. April 30, 2012 1:50 pm

Oh the Aztec coffee pot, is just devine..just my cup of tea *ahem* I mean coffee 😉

• April 30, 2012 4:01 pm

I must confess I don’t actually drink coffee but my husband loves it so I still have an excuse to own a coffee pot. And it looks lovely sitting on my kitchen windowsill. 🙂

6. April 30, 2012 4:09 pm

Great finds – I like the mix of designs too rather than having everything matchy matchy.

• May 1, 2012 1:23 pm

Thanks! I suspect having an entire set of ‘Topic’ stuff would be a bit overpowering.

7. April 30, 2012 7:27 pm

arrgh Hate this wordpress nonsense. I keep typing replies and loosing them because I don’t have a wordpress account !

ah! Deep breaths ! Love the coffee pot, colours are gorgeous. xx

• May 1, 2012 1:26 pm

Sorry about the wordpress nonsense. I ended up getting a blogger account just so I could comment on blogger blogs.
      Glad you perservered though – it’s good to know you like the coffee pot cos I know you have excellent taste x

8. April 30, 2012 7:55 pm

Lovely items! I’m totally in love with that coffee pot!

9. April 30, 2012 8:15 pm

Such gorgeous things! I have to stay away from charity shops, I’m too easily tempted!

• May 1, 2012 1:28 pm

I tend to set myself rules before going in charity shops. Main ones are:
      – maximum spend £10
      – will I definitely make use of everything I buy?
      – can I get it past my husband?
      😉

10. April 30, 2012 10:28 pm

What a find! I really like the platter. And mixing up the designs is such a great idea. You’ve inspired me to keep searching – because my little Topic milk jug looks lonely…

• May 1, 2012 1:29 pm

Your little Topic milk jug is lovely! Hope you find some nice items to use with it, even if they aren’t completely matching…

11. livingitlittle permalink
    May 1, 2012 1:32 pm

I LOVE that 60s pattern – so cool and simple. Good finds!

12. May 3, 2012 10:35 pm

Love this! Can’t wait to join in on Monday, see you then! In the meantime have a lovely weekend 🙂