Magpie Monday – Topic tureen

April 23, 2012

I love finding mid-20th century homewares to go with my 1960s house. This very stylish 1960s casserole dish was £3.95 from the ‘retro’ section of the local Sue Ryder shop.

J & G Meakin 'Topic' tureen

J & G Meakin 'Topic' tureen

The dish has the ‘J & G Meakin Studio’ stamp on the base, so I did a bit of research on the excellent J & G Meakin China and Pottery website and found that it is a ‘tureen’ in the ‘Topic’ design from 1967. For more examples of this ‘Topic’ range, see here.

The leaf and flower design is a transfer but it is in reasonably good condition with just a couple of small scratches. The ‘Topic’ range is supposed to have solid olive-coloured lids but this particular dish has a lovely white lid with olive handle and rim, rather than the whole lid being olive. This may mean than someone has replaced a broken lid at some point, but I don’t really mind as the white lid with olive details looks very nice and fits perfectly.

I’m a bit surprised that this dish is a ‘tureen’ because to me a tureen is a big, broad dish for serving soup whereas this seems more like a small casserole dish. But I’m sure that I will get lots of use out of this, because I really like the style of it. In fact I’m very tempted to go on eBay to find other items in the same range, but I don’t think my husband would approve!

If you enjoyed this post you might also like:

I’m always really inspired by Magpie Monday at the Me & My Shadow blog. Reading about other people’s second hand finds every week has strengthened my enthusiasm for looking for treasure in charity shops.

1. April 23, 2012 10:22 am

Oooh sounds like the start of a new collection to me!

I’m sure my nan used to have some of this range – it looks very familiar.

2. April 23, 2012 11:25 am

Oooooh i love that dish its the sort of thing that would catch my eye in a charity shop! and fab price you paid for it!

• April 24, 2012 3:17 pm

I almost missed it because it was hidden behind a load of floral stuff. But once I’d spotted it I couldn’t resist!

3. April 23, 2012 11:40 am

Can’t believe it! I’ve just bought a small milk jug from the same range at a car boot – I’m always drawn to things with this kind of 60s/70s design. I hope you find some more. I’ve just discovered Magpie mondays and can’t wait to joining in.

4. Scarlet permalink
    April 23, 2012 6:40 pm

Gorgeous and a great price. I went in a Sue Ryder shop on Friday and their retro stuff was much more expensive. I have a small milk jug in the same pattern- I can’t resist J & G Meakin stuff!

• April 24, 2012 3:23 pm

I find this kind of J & G Meakin stuff irresistable too.

Some of the Sue Ryder retro stuff is expensive – I suspect the price of this dish might have been higher but there was no price label on it so they just guessed a price for me.

5. April 23, 2012 7:19 pm

Ohhhhhh I so love that…My eye would be drawn straight to it!

• April 24, 2012 3:26 pm

You would love the retro section in our local Sue Ryder shop! I think your eye would be drawn to a lot of things 🙂

6. April 23, 2012 8:27 pm

Be still my heart! I am IN LOVE! It is soooooo beeeaaauuuttttiifulll!!

I love googling some of my extra special finds too 🙂

• April 24, 2012 3:29 pm

I’m in love too 😉 My heart skipped a beat when I spotted this!

And the internet is great for looking up info about finds. Someone somewhere has created a website about almost everything!

7. April 28, 2012 2:29 am

Oh what a lovely tureen! The colors are fantastic. Great find!

1. Magpie Monday – more Meakin « minibreak mummy