The first cross stitch I ever did – and the most recent

April 22, 2012

When I first saw some of my friends cross-stitching on one of our joint holidays in about 1999 I didn’t get it at all. But then a woman from a local needlecraft shop sold me a £1 kit with a sunflower design. She said if I didn’t like it I would only have wasted a £1. Anyway I really enjoyed stitching the sunflower – I still have it in a frame at home to remind me of where my cross stitch addiction started. Here is a photo of that first cross stitch sunflower. (Sorry I don’t know who designed the chart because I didn’t keep records of what I stitched back then)

Since then I have spent considerably more than £1 on kits, charts, threads, fabrics, books, frames, scissors, storage, travel cases, etc. But I have got a lot of pleasure out of stitching things for myself and other people. It is very relaxing to cover a blank piece of fabric with stitches and have something to show at the end of it.

The most recent thing I have done is a tiny picture of a caravan. I found this Mouseloft kit in the local sewing shop, but you can also buy them online (e.g. the kit is available at stitcher.co.uk).

Sometimes it is nice to do a small kit in a couple of evenings, and this one was perfect for me as it combines cross stitch and caravanning. My husband and son both like the design too. I popped it into a fridge magnet (which was a free gift with a magazine).

I am linking up with Needlework Days at Feisty Tapas. I am always really impressed to see what other people have made, especially this great Orla Kiely-inspired design.

Needlework Days

1. April 22, 2012 8:11 pm

Both these designs are really sweet! I have to force myself to stop buying cross stitch things otherwise I know that I would end up with a huge stash. I only have the one on the go at the moment but there are plenty that I’ve got my eye on. I should do some smaller projects as well really, so that I don’t get bored with my larger one.

• April 24, 2012 3:09 pm

I have a big stash! But I have given away lots of stuff, so it’s not such a huge stash as it used to be. I have two big projects on the go and a couple of little ones as I like being able to chop and change depending on my mood. Plus little projects are more portable and it’s nice to be able to do some stitching on the go.

2. April 22, 2012 8:49 pm

I love it. I used to buy cross stitching magazines and collect the little kits that came with them to do quickly for little gifts, cards, etc. I think I’ve run out of those now but I have such a collection of magazines I probably shouldn’t buy more. Thanks so much for linking up again 🙂

• April 24, 2012 3:11 pm

Magazines tend to contain lots of ideas for little gifts. I really should go through my magazines and books and make up some small kits for myself rather than buying anymore 😉

3. Missus Tribble permalink
    April 23, 2012 7:39 am

Those designs are adorable!

• April 24, 2012 3:12 pm

Thank you! I hope you’re making progress with your big impressive projects!

• Missus Tribble permalink
        April 24, 2012 3:41 pm

I’ve worked on the ballerina a little since breaking my toe. I’d like to say that I’ve achieved more than I actually have, but I spent a good two weeks or more guzzling painkillers and not being able to do a lot!

• April 24, 2012 3:48 pm

You have my sympathies! I remember tripping on the stairs and spraining my leg from my knee to my toes. One of my friends said, “Never mind at least you can still do some stitching!” but I was in too much pain to do anything. I hope you’re on the mend now.

• Missus Tribble permalink
        April 24, 2012 3:51 pm

I am, thank you! Bruising is almost gone and I’m not eating painkillers three times a day any more.

Sometimes, when you’re laid up, you become so bored that you’re actually too bored to do anything!

1. The first cross stitch I ever did – and the most recent « minibreak … | Top Click Source