Listography – top 5 albums by male solo artists

April 10, 2012

The Listography theme on Kate Takes 5 this week is top 5 albums by male solo artists.

I couldn’t resist joining in with this one as I have inherited a love of singer-songwriters from my dad. I started working my way through his music collection in my teens and added a few extra bits and pieces of my own.

So here are my 5 fave albums by male solo artists (in alphabetical order by artist surname, cos I’m a librarian through and through!)

My top 5 albums by male solo artists

1. Hunky Dory by David Bowie

Just looking at the cover brings all the great tunes into my head. An amazing album, way ahead of its time. There are lots of other Bowie albums I love but this is the one I never tire of. I had a cassette copy originally and played it til it stretched. My current vinyl copy came from Oxfam.

Fave tracks:

• Life on Mars
  • Fill Your Heart

2. I’m Your Man by Leonard Cohen

A witty, sexy album which I’ve loved to bits ever since it came out.

Fave tracks:

• First We Take Manhattan
  • I’m Your Man
  • Take This Waltz

3. Desire by Bob Dylan

I used to get sick of some Bob Dylan albums cos my dad would play them all the time. But then I discovered this one in his record collection and it’s irresistible. My dad passed this album on to me, along with lots of other albums on vinyl, because he no longer has a record player and now owns everything on remastered CD.

Fave track:

• Hurricane

4. So by Peter Gabriel

This is an amazing album, rich and lush. My original vinyl copy of this is almost unplayable after being passed around the ‘in crowd’ of girls I wanted to like me during my fifth year at secondary school. I was very pleased to get a good replacement copy on vinyl from Oxfam Books and Music.

Fave tracks:

• Red Rain
  • Don’t Give Up (a gorgeous duet with Kate Bush)
  • In Your Eyes

5. There Goes Rhymin’ Simon by Paul Simon

A really sweet, uplifting album. I was introduced to this by a school friend. Another record I was very pleased to get an almost mint copy on vinyl from Oxfam Books and Music as it sounds best on vinyl.

Fave tracks:

• Kodachrome
  • Something So Right

Photobucket

1. April 10, 2012 5:31 pm

I can’t believe I forgot Leonard Cohen in my list. We listen to him all the time! Check out my top 5 on jenography.net

2. April 10, 2012 6:19 pm

Ooh, a mixed bunch there, the album covers are just wonderful!! I love that you alphabetised them…you do make me chuckle!

• April 10, 2012 7:38 pm

Yes I’m a bit of a vinyl fan! (though I don’t get to play them as much with a toddler around)

3. April 10, 2012 7:19 pm

Mr Costello not even making it into the top 5 – I’m shocked!

• April 10, 2012 7:36 pm

I did think long and hard about that – but couldn’t just pick one album of his to include. ‘Punch the Clock’ was included in my fifteen albums list…

4. April 10, 2012 7:27 pm

Great list, though I only know a few of them 🙂

• April 10, 2012 7:39 pm

Well that’s the great thing about having this kind of listography – we all get inspired to try other things 🙂

5. April 10, 2012 8:29 pm

Great choices! Hurricane – what a song!

6. April 10, 2012 9:29 pm

Oo I was so close to putting Leonard Cohen on my list but he got bumped at the end 😦 And I was listening to Bob Dylan in the car today. All classics – we can swap collections any time 🙂

• April 10, 2012 9:43 pm

Thanks Kate I’m really enjoying this one, cos I’m being reminded of albums I already love and getting lots of ideas of other stuff I might like.
      🙂

7. nickietypecast permalink
    April 10, 2012 11:38 pm

Peter Gabriel is a great choice (and Don’t Give Up is one of my favourite songs too).

8. April 12, 2012 2:53 pm

“So” gets my vote. One of my all time favourites. Great list.

Anne xx

9. April 22, 2012 12:27 am

Reblogged this on PORTAFOLIO. BITACORA DE UN TRANSFUGA. 2000.2010 and commented:
    Add your thoughts here… (optional)