Dirty dozen: 12 questions!

March 17, 2012
I’ve been sent at list of 12 questions by Liz from MargotandBarbara after she answered a similar set of questions. So I’m going to settle down with a nice cup of redbush tea in my Minibreak Mummy mug and write some answers.
space

1 – Why did you start blogging?
So I could record some of the fun things in life. I think this helps me cope better with the not so fun things in life.
I also wanted to join in with the conversations that other bloggers seemed to be having.
I’m really impressed with people who planned everything out from the start and chose a particular niche, but I didn’t do any of that. I just had a go, without thinking about it very much.
space
2 – Which post are you proudest of?
I like this post, because I managed to find some humour in things I didn’t enjoy at the time.
It also led to a Leibster Blog award and a guest post on the Older Mum blog called ‘Why I Became a Mum at 37’
space
3 – What’s your one top tip for new bloggers?
Write blogposts that you would like to read. In my case, this means I write about topics that interest me, and I keep my blogposts fairly short. This also reflects my time constraints (as well as being a mother I work full-time and have other hobbies and interests).
I did a Listography – top 5 tips for bloggers post with more tips, if you want them.
space
4 – What is your favourite travel destination?
It’s hard to pick just one! Unless I say ‘Britain’ but that’s probably cheating. Most of our holidays these days are in Britain, but I have also had really lovely holidays in Italy (Venice, Bologna, Tuscany), France and Northern California.
space
5 – If you could travel in time, what period would you choose?
I think the time I’m in now suits me best. In an earlier time, I simply wouldn’t have been allowed to do a physics degree and have a career, because I’m female and the daughter of working class parents.
6 – Who are your heroes?
Sarah Jane Smith from Doctor Who and The Sarah Jane Adventures was my hero. I started watching Doctor Who because of her.
space
7 – What three things would you take to a desert island?
  • My towel – very useful things towels!
  • My Kindle, pre-loaded with lots and lots of books. Plus a solar panel charger.
  • Ultrasun sun protection cream. space
8- If you had an afternoon to yourself, with no responsibilities, how would you spend it?
I’m actually having a whole day to myself today, because my husband and son are visiting my mother-in-law who is recovering from an operation. So I’m getting some stitching done, and a bit of blogging. I’ve been listening to Lalla Ward reading Doctor Who: Shada (a book by Gareth Roberts, based on the scripts of an unbroadcast episode of Doctor Who originally written by the late Douglas Adams in the late 1970s). I will probably have a bath, uninterrupted by a toddler and without any of his plastic toys. And then I’ll spend a couple of hours browsing in the local charity shops to see if I can find any items for Magpie Monday.
space
9 – Are you going to do anything for the first time this year?
I’m going to Cybher – which is a blogging conference in May. I’ve very excited about this, because it means I can meet lots of people that I have so far only spoken to online.
 space
10 – What is your favourite film of all time?
Can it really be over 20 years since When Harry Met Sally? It is probably my favorite film of all time. Mostly because it is funny, and life-affirming, and says that even people with faults can be loveable.But there is one line in it that I really took to heart, and that is when Sally says to Harry, “I am not your consolation prize.”At the time it came out I was at university dating a bloke who really fancied my friend. In fact he only started going out with me after my friend made it clear she wasn’t interested in him. Prior to that I had dated a different bloke who was smitten by another friend and who had never really given up on her. This was all a bit confidence-zapping for me. But I decided not to stand for this kind of thing anymore and instead waited to find a partner who wanted me more than anyone else.
space
11 – Sweet or savoury food?
Both! I love good food! I do have a sweet tooth, but it is not as sweet as it used to be.
space
12 – If you could have one super-power, what would you choose?
I’m with SFX Columnist Bonnie Burton on this one, conventional comic strip super-powers are overrated. I would love to be able to make people recover from a bad cough with a wave of my hand. Having the power to make buses arrive two minutes after I get to the bus stop would also be handy.
  1. March 17, 2012 11:15 am

My super power used to be the ability to produce baby wipes from my wrists in a Spiderman stylee, however a recent career change may make make-up wipes more appropriate & my wipes of choice? Pure age defiance wipes 2 for £1 from Poundland 😉

2. Missus Tribble permalink
    March 17, 2012 11:17 am

I absolutely worship Sarah Jane Smith (including her return in the hilarious “School Reunion”) and was absolutely devastated when Lis died so suddenly.

And it’s good to know that, you too, always know where your towel is! 🙂

• March 18, 2012 3:02 pm

I remember how sad I was when I first heard that Lis Sladen had died. She was such a huge part of my childhood and I loved the Sarah Jane Adventures too.

And I agree with Ford Prefect that you should always know where your towel is!

• Missus Tribble permalink
        March 18, 2012 7:57 pm

It was such a shock; I know people who met her at various cons (not just Doctor Who cons) and they all say that she was just lovely. I only wish that I could have had the honour. She was a real Lady if there ever was one. I’d like to see Clyde and Rani in the TARDIS one day – but I’m glad that they’re not having to take over SJA because that would just be Wrong.

Ford Prefect is definitely one Hoopy Frood 🙂

3. March 17, 2012 7:32 pm

I love your answers so much! And, as an added bonus, I’ve read all the linked posts too, which are all so good, I do love your writing. I’m taking on board a couple of your blogging tips – especially the one about ‘think about what you would enter into google and use that in your post title’. In the past, I’ve written titles that I think are clever, but actually it doesn’t do you any good when it comes to getting visitors.

PS – how did you get your mug made? I need to get some Margot and Barbara ones done 🙂

• March 18, 2012 3:11 pm

Thanks for the questions and for saying such nice things about my answers and the other posts I linked to.

My sister Alice, who designed my luggage tag header, sent me a version formatted for a t-shirt and suggested I try Spreadshirt. I thought I’d get more use out of a mug than a t-shirt, so ordered a mug from them instead. It turned out well, so I might order a tote bag from them next. Cafe Press is another option, but they are based in the US so postage is more expensive and slower.

4. March 17, 2012 8:52 pm

Great post, Ruth, really enjoyed reading it.

I’d like so many super powers, but the cliche of on-demand invisibility would be great, as would being able to fly. I also fantasise about having a power that somehow makes things I eat disappear out of my body before I digest them, but only when I want to, so I can eat healthy food for my body, and as much naughtiness as I like without it making me fat and unhealthy. There’s loads of other superpowers that are essentially on similar lines…

• March 18, 2012 3:27 pm

Thanks Kavey! It’s always nice when a blogpost inspired by one person is enjoyed by others.

I think your idea of a superpower to make food vanish before it reaches your stomach would be very popular if it ever became an option.