Magpie Monday – store & measure

February 20, 2012

I love buying kitchenware from Lakeland, so it was lovely to find a Lakeland item ‘brand new in box’ for only £2 in a local charity shop.

This is a ‘store & measure’ – a glass storage jar with a lid that is also a measure. The photo on the box shows the jar being used for sugar, but I decided to use it for risotto rice.

We like making this really easy leek and blue cheese risotto.  It is great for caravan and self-catering holidays as it only uses 5 ingredients. Sometimes we add other vegetables, sometimes we use different cheeses, but it always works well.

Do have a look at the other Magpie Monday finds this week at the Me & My Shadow blog.

1. Missus Tribble permalink
    February 20, 2012 9:48 am

We just love buying kitchenware full stop – so if we’re in town we have to avoid all cookware shops, and places like Oil And Vinegar, like the plague.

Because of my pickling hobby and our joint love of new kitchen shinies, Frugal February has been difficult – although I have managed to stay off Amazon aside from a few cheap Kindle books! A jam funnel was ordered last night, but I am exhonerated because I didn’t buy it. Or the new tea ball that’s on its way 🙂

• February 21, 2012 11:59 am

I bought this before starting Frugal February (bought so many things from charity shops in January that I had a few left over to blog about in Feb)

Apart from Frugal February I think it’s ok for me to buy kitchenware if I’m actually going to use it and I have space for it

Have fun with your jam funnel and tea ball 🙂

• Missus Tribble permalink
        February 21, 2012 12:13 pm

Twelve pickling/jam jars arrived yesterday too – but I bought those before beginning Frugal February – and, of course, I need them 🙂

2. February 20, 2012 10:36 am

Lakeland stuff is a weakness of mine. I’m so glad there isn’t one locally or I’d be bankrupt. Although I would have a very organised fridge!

I’m off to check out that scrummy sounding recipe x

• February 21, 2012 12:02 pm

Lakeland is extremely dangerous – especially the bargain corner in my local store. There was also a bargain corner in the big Windermere Lakeland store when I stayed in Windermere last August – I spent a lot of money that week!

Hope you get on with the recipe. It is fairly forgiving. We tend to do less rice and more veg and any strong or blue cheese we fancy. x

3. Expat Mammy permalink
    February 20, 2012 10:57 am

OMG I love lakeland

• February 21, 2012 12:03 pm

So do I! I remember when my mum used to get the ‘Lakeland Plastics’ catalogue in the 1980s, and I’ve been hooked ever since.

4. February 20, 2012 11:40 am

Nice find and very useful too.

5. February 20, 2012 11:26 pm

A good find! Very clever. Lakeland is fab.

• February 21, 2012 12:19 pm

Yes Lakeland is fab. And I’ve always quite liked measuring things out rather than weighing them.