I love my Kindle

February 7, 2012

When I’m reading a book on the Kindle I just get lost in the book, much the same as when I’m reading a printed book. This to me is wonderful.

The first book I read on the Kindle

It is also slightly surprising. Back in 2010, I wasn’t even sure whether I could see the point of a dedicated ebook reader device. I have been reading ebooks for years (originally on Palm/PalmOne/Treo devices, more recently on my iPhone) because I like being able to fit a big selection of books in my bag. But I found the iPhone screen a bit too small to read for long periods.

The original announcement of the iPad persuaded me that the iPad would be perfect for me as an ebook reader. I waited for the iPad to come out and had a play with that, but decided it was too heavy and shiny to read books on, especially when compared to the Kindle 2 my sister owns.

Then in summer 2010 the Kindle 3G (now called the Kindle Keyboard 3G) was announced at a much lower price than the iPad. Also a UK Kindle store was launched so no more faffing with dollars and import duty. So I ordered a Kindle 3G on the very first day they became available to order in the UK. And I’ve not regretted it. It is even better than I hoped it would be.

I read more books now I have my Kindle, and faster. I can buy books anytime, anyplace, anywhere. I can read books anytime, anyplace anywhere.

I’m a complete book addict so this means I use my Kindle several times a week, for extended periods of time. Fiction works best when I have at least an hour, or several hours, to read so that I can get into the swing of the story. This was especially useful with the multilayered PD James novels I worked my way through between autumn 2010 and summer 2011.

Popular non-fiction, such as ‘The Fry Chronicles’ by Stephen Fry or ‘Watching the English’ by Kate Fox, can be read in small chunks when standing in a queue or eating lunch or waiting for my liftshare partner to arrive. The Kindle is so light and comfortable to hold and the screen is nice and matt so no glare.

So far I’ve purchased 109 Kindle edition books. In most cases I got a free sample first to check I liked the book before purchasing. I have requested samples of books I wouldn’t otherwise have read and then gone on to buy and read the whole book.

I haven’t stopped buying printed books, but I have stopped lugging them round with me, and I tend to buy printed books that are beautiful objects and/or have lots of photos rather than just getting a paperback which would be just as easy to read on the Kindle. Much the same as I haven’t stopped buying CDs of music I really love and want to listen to on a hifi, but I use an mp3 player to listen to music on the go.

The Kindle really comes into its own when I go on holiday or travel for work. I used to take a grocery box full of books when I went on holiday for a week, now I just take my Kindle. And my husband has a Kindle too now, because he was so impressed with mine.

Time will tell whether the rate of increase in the quantity of printed books in our house will slow down. There comes a point where it is no longer possible to fit in any more bookshelves!

This is an edited and updated version of a blogpost originally written in October 2010 for the nyssapod blog.

1. Christopher Lampton permalink
    February 7, 2012 2:48 pm

I love my e-book reader too. (It’s a Nook, but in the best of all possible worlds Nooks and Kindles should co-exist peacefully.) Like you I started on a Palm, moved on to an iPhone (well, really an iPod Touch), and now prefer a larger device. Other than the woman I live with and maybe Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream, the Nook is the love of my life. I hate going anywhere without it. I miss real books, but not as much as I thought I would. There came a time when my collection grew too big and lugging it from house to house was far more work than it was worth. Now I tuck my entire library under my arm. The world really does change for the better at times.

• February 7, 2012 7:16 pm

Thank you so much for your comments. I’ve always liked the idea of the Nook but they’re not really an option in the UK. You sound really similar to me. (I’m rather partial to Ben & Jerry’s too)

2. Missus Tribble permalink
    February 7, 2012 3:54 pm

My Kindle is utterly invaluble to me – but rather than clog your feed by waxing lyrical on its wonderments I’ll just link you to my blog about it – http://rosewinelover.com/2012/01/29/the-kindle-no-smoke-without-fire/

• February 7, 2012 7:32 pm

Thanks Missus! Will read and comment properly when I’m using something other than my iPhone.

3. February 8, 2012 9:55 am

I must admit, as a Kindle cynic, this post has me almost reconsidering my stance. I love the idea of being able to have a book in your bag that doesn’t weigh the same as a book. Or be able to carry multiple books around. Or read anywhere. But I just love the smell of new books, that tangible feeling of being able to turn the page, then place it on a bookshelf once you’ve finished. Being able to lend friends a book you love, to get it back a bit tattered with corners of pages turned down. I would miss all that if I got an e-book.

• February 8, 2012 10:27 am

Real books are lovely! My ideal solution would be a Hermione Granger style magic handbag, so that I could carry a big selection of real books with me everywhere I go, without feeling the weight of them. I still buy proper books to read at home, but the Kindle is unbeatable for reading on the go.

4. Paul Jenkins permalink
    February 12, 2012 3:02 pm

I must be missing something. I too love books, and my bedroom would be 127,000,000 % bigger if I took the books out(I’ve told you a million times never to exaggerate 🙂
    BUT

Where books can have lovely illustrations line diagrams and scratch and sniff pages(books on Curries and/or ice-cream especially). I am however being serious the black text on grey presentation, that Kindle uses; really doesn’t work for me. Plus i want to know i am on page 197 and NOT!!!! at 11%, can anyone suggest a screen that is a lot more vibrant and interactive/graphic friendly and fun, than Kindle.

PJ

• February 12, 2012 7:31 pm

The iPad has a much prettier screen. But personally I find the Kindle is better for reading text on the go without reflections or distractions. And I still read real books too.

5. March 1, 2012 12:34 pm

Interesting post, thank you. I’m a sceptic (though busy writing and getting ready to publish eBooks and create them for others, so a rather hypocritical sceptic), but am always interested to read about how people use theirs. I’m fascinated by the shift towards buying ‘beautiful’ books – wrote a post about it a while ago, in fact (have put it in as my link) – that the eReaders seem to be instrumental in. I remain unconvinced that they are for me, but I imagine I will give in one of these years!

• March 1, 2012 8:22 pm

Thanks for your comment and the link. Yes I think there will be a trend towards beautiful books too. I love books and for me the Kindle is just a way to have more books to read.

6. Nick Caeter permalink
    April 5, 2012 1:55 am

Hey, you ought to give the “Caged Flower” series by Cullman Wallace a try. Pretty darned good for a new writer, and the first one in the series is only 99 cents. (I LOVE cheap books!) I’m halfway through the second book, and I get a kick out of the fact that half of my office (60+ year old females) are reading it on their Kindles or on the cloud reader. Give it a shot–YA fiction, but you’ll probably like it.

Nick

• Sara D. permalink
      April 21, 2012 8:34 pm

Ive started those and just got going on book 2. Mrs. Dantner and Galen are creepy! Can’t wait until Cullman Wallace gets book 3 out. I dont want to have to wait to see what happens!! That was a really good suggestion for a cheap and excellent read!!!!!

• June 23, 2012 12:46 am

The books get better with each one! I have to use the Cloud Reader 😦 but the books are great and book 3 was particularly good. Can’t wait for book 4 to hit. Dying to know what happens, especially after the surprise book 4 exceprt at the end of book 3!

• Rhonda Fleming permalink
        August 26, 2012 2:06 am

Book Four was AWESOME. Wrapped up all the loose ends, and gave us plenty of back story to explain how things came to be. And with Cullman Wallace donating part of the proceeds to animal shelters, it’s MORE than worth the purchase. Be sure to check it out at http://www.amazon.com/Caged-Flower-Series-Book-ebook/dp/B008LDYH8Y.

1. Page not found « minibreak mummy
  2. Minibreak Mummy loves: my Mia Tui handbag « minibreak mummy
  3. Love All Blogs » the non-profit making, altruistic blog showcasing site » 27-02-12 Love Books Weekly Showcase