Magpie Monday – stitching inspiration

February 6, 2012

I really enjoy being inspired by books about crafting and stitching. My Amazon wishlist is usually full of such books, and I was very lucky to receive several for my last birthday and as Christmas presents.

Charity shops are another great source of craft books. Here are two books I found recently in the local Oxfam Books & Music shop, full of stitching inspiration. The first one was a hardback book called ‘Simple Samplers’ by Yvonne Mathieson. This book contains loads of great ideas for designing your own samplers, including some traditional motifs and a few modern ideas as well.

'Simple Samplers' book

‘Simple Samplers’ book

The second book I found was ‘The New Anchor Book of Counted Thread Embroidery Stitches’ – this was on the ‘sale’ shelf and only cost 50p. It is not much bigger than a CD case but it absolutely packed with examples of different stitches and ideas for the ways the stitches can be used.

'Counted Thread Embroidery Stitches' book

Page from 'Counted Thread Embroidery Stitches'

Both books have me itching to stitch and I am looking forward to testing out some of the stitches I have seen on their pages. One of the lovely things about books like this is that they give me ideas for using up fabric and threads from my existing stash rather than always having to buy kits. This is in keeping with my aim to stick to Frugal February.

I’m linking up Magpie Monday at the Me & My Shadow blog. Go and see what fantastic pre-loved treasure other folk have found.

1. February 6, 2012 9:59 am

What great finds!

I get lots of my crafty books from charity shops, although a lot of the projects can seem quite dated, so like you’ve done it’s good to go with the ‘traditional’ examples.

Can’t wait to see what stitching it inspires. x

• February 6, 2012 7:12 pm

I chose these very carefully out of quite a big selection…

Must confess that my stitching backlog is such that it may be a while before I put ideas from these books into action, but I have at least been encouraged to get on and finish some unfinished items 😉

2. jane permalink
    February 6, 2012 10:19 am

Fab finds charity shops are great for books i always end up buying 1 or more when i go for a mooch around.

3. February 6, 2012 10:23 am

Ooh, loving that Anchor book, I recently bought a counted cross stitch book at a charity shop and it has inspired me to make my first sampler. 🙂

• February 6, 2012 8:34 pm

Wow! Good to hear you tried a sampler. I’ll be interested to see what you do with that pretty metallic thread you got. (stick to short lengths otherwise it gets rough and tangled)

4. Missus Tribble permalink
    February 6, 2012 11:28 am

My local sewing shop is, quite frankly, pants (which is why Black Sheep and Amazon make a fortune out of me!) so I’m not often in there unless I need a particular thread *right now*. However, they do sell small books and old magazines at charity shop prices, and a lot of them are very good 🙂

• February 6, 2012 8:39 pm

We don’t have any good needlecraft shops near here either, so I tend to buy online or from the shows.The Black Sheep stand at the Knitting & Stitching Show is particularly dangerous 😉

5. February 6, 2012 5:46 pm

I wonder why so many end up in charity shops. I love samplers, have a very big thing about them

6. February 6, 2012 11:28 pm

what lovely finds, would love to read those books 🙂

• February 8, 2012 5:21 pm

Thanks! I was so impressed with your dolls house – perhaps you could do a teeny tiny sampler to go on the walls? 😉