Magpie Monday – Sleeping Murder

January 23, 2012

Shopping in charity shops involves a lot of looking through dross to find the occasional gem. So I was extremely pleased to find a pristine first edition copy of Sleeping Murder by Agatha Christie for a fiver in the local Oxfam shop. This book looks as though it may have been read once, if that, before being placed on a shelf and never opened again until I got hold of it. There is no yellowing around the edges of pages, and the price is unclipped.

I realise that this particular book is not all that rare, because it was published in 1976 after Christie’s death. But if you’ve already seen my Magpie Monday – Agatha Christie Collection blogpost, you will know how much I love Agatha Christie’s Miss Marple books. So to me this is a very exciting find. I also like the purple cover and the very 1970s lettering.

Sleeping Murder

Sleeping Murder pristine pages

I will be linking this post up with Magpie Monday at the Me & My Shadow blog.

1. January 23, 2012 11:38 am

What a great find!!

I’m not familiar with that story, but I have to say, I love the typeface on the cover!

Thanks for linking up, glad you found a gem. x

• January 24, 2012 1:41 pm

Yes I love the typeface on the cover too. It’s one the prettiest of the original Agatha Christie book covers in my opinion.

2. January 23, 2012 12:22 pm

Oooh nice find, tip top shape!

• January 24, 2012 1:39 pm

Yes. The person who owned it must have stored it somewhere away from daylight and dust. It certainly doesn’t look like a 36 year old book!

3. January 23, 2012 3:11 pm

Oh I love Miss Marple too (am definitely camp Marple rather than Poirot) and I have all the boxsets but am ashamed to say I haven’t read any of Christie’s original books. This is a great find and has made me realise I should be keeping a look out for them in the charity shops so i can get reading. Off to look at your post on Miss marple now!

• January 24, 2012 1:50 pm

There are some good outfits in the Poirot episodes, but I tend to prefer Miss Marple. Have fun tracking down your own copies of the books. Abebooks, eBay and Amazon are other good sources if there are none to be found in charity shops.

4. Scarlet permalink
    January 23, 2012 3:31 pm

What fantastic condition. I love the 70s look to the cover!

• January 24, 2012 1:51 pm

The condition is amazing. I had to keep checking the publication date inside the book to convince myself it really was a 1st edition.

5. jane permalink
    January 23, 2012 5:06 pm

Fab find you cant beat charity shops for books its one thing i always have a look for especially books for my daughter.

• January 24, 2012 4:00 pm

When I look around my bookshelves I can see that about a third of my books have come from charity shops…and I regularly take bags of books to Oxfam for other people to enjoy

6. January 23, 2012 5:50 pm

Love to purchase books from thrift store, you found a really nice one.

7. January 23, 2012 6:46 pm

a lovely find, I love Agatha Christie 🙂

8. January 24, 2012 8:33 am

Love the cover! My MIL is a huge fan, has even been to burgh island!
    It’s fab when something is just meant to be!

9. January 25, 2012 1:51 pm

Popping by with a personal invitation for you to join the new Britmums Charity Connections – Blogging It Forward group http://www.britmums.com/group/charity-connections-blogging-it-forward

10. January 28, 2012 1:14 pm

I love the retro type face and colour! think I’d frame it!

• January 31, 2012 12:47 pm

Glad you like it. Your mention of sticking it in a frame makes me speculate as to whether there may even have been big advertising posters for the book back in 1976 with the same typeface – wonder if anyone kept one?