Vintage Threads

January 14, 2012

Mother Venting has suggested people share photos and stories of their oldest items of clothing, and Liz at MargotandBarbara has tagged me, so here are my ‘vintage threads’.

In my case, both of these items of clothing were ‘vintage’ when I bought them back in 1992.

The first item is a gorgeous grey jacket, with nice detailing on the pocket. I’ve managed to get lots of wear out of this over the years, including as an interview jacket. It was slightly too big for me when I was a student so I used to wear a jumper underneath it, but those days are long gone now.

Dark grey jacket

The second item is a cotton dress which looks like it dates from the 1950s. The first time I wore this was for a 1950s-murder-mystery-theme party. I had spent the whole day before the party hand-sewing down the sides of the bodice of the dress to take it in. (I should have been revising that day, but at least I looked nice for the party!).

Cotton dress

There are no photos from that party in 1992, but I do have a photo of me wearing the dress in 2007. By then of course, the original seams of dress were back in use! And now I can’t get in it at all because even though I’ve lost weight I changed shape and have a thicker waist. Oh well, I still have some happy memories of wearing this frock.

Me wearing the dress in 2007

What old friends do you have in your wardrobe? Take a photo, tell me a story, and tag other folk (if you want to know what’s in their closet, that is).

I’m going to tag

Penny at Alexander Residence

Amanda at theanamumdiary

Liz at Me and my shadow

And because my ‘vintage threads’ were ‘pre-loved’ when I originally bought them, I will be linking this post up with Magpie Monday at the Me & My Shadow blog.

1. Amanda permalink
    January 14, 2012 2:31 pm

How exciting can’t wait to get involved in this one!
    Love your items, especially the dress.

Thanks a xx

2. January 14, 2012 10:57 pm

Me too, great idea, off to rummage in the wardrobe. Love your frock!

• January 15, 2012 7:44 pm

I’m looking forward to seeing what you’ve got too. I know you said on twitter that your wardrobe is in a bit of a mess, but I’m sure that there’s something of interest in there πŸ˜‰

3. January 15, 2012 9:14 am

I love your dress. It looks so light and floaty and as though I’d have that old Hollywood glamour style if I wore it.

4. January 16, 2012 4:28 pm

Pretty dress. It looks so much better on you than on the hanger.
    I’ll follow this tag thread with interest. xx

• January 18, 2012 1:00 pm

Yes the dress does look better on me than on the hanger. πŸ˜‰
      I’m not sure I’ve seen all the posts in the tag thread, but I’ve seen some good ones.

5. Scarlet permalink
    January 16, 2012 5:33 pm

I love the jacket!

6. Soph permalink
    January 18, 2012 2:39 pm

Wow that jacket really epitomises the phrase ‘timeless classic’ πŸ˜€