I did it! The 12 Days of Buffy Challenge that is

December 13, 2011

Thank you Rhiannon from A Hell Of A Woman for inspiring me to join in your ’12 days of Buffy’ challenge which consisted of two parts:

1. To watch the first 12 episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer – see 12 days of Buffy
  2. To make some impact on my list of things I’ve been putting off doing

For the record, here is an update on where I’m up to with each item on the December to do list:

Write a will
We had an appointment with a solicitor last Thursday. There are still a few details to iron out, but we should have this done and dusted before Christmas. I just want to know that there is provision for our boy and named guardians in case the worst happens.

Sign up for leisure club membership so that I can go swimming in my lunch hour
I let my membership lapse when I broke my arm in January this year. Then there was always some reason I didn’t get around to renewing it (e.g. I had a bad cold, or was about to go on holiday, or the budget was tight that month). But I am doing this at lunchtime today.

Usable wardrobe

Declutter and tidy my bedroom
Well I’ve managed to the clear the floor so that I can get at the wardrobe and use that to store my clothes instead of hanging them on airers.

I’ve also cleared out nearly all of my clothes that no longer fit (I’m back to my pre-pregnancy weight but not shape).

I still need to clear my dressing table and get rid of some more magazines, but that can be done in the odd hour here or there.

Learn a sequence of yoga poses that I can do at home
Decided to wait until after finishing carol concerts to do this. The yoga kit and book featured in yesterday’s Magpie Monday post will come in handy for this.

Finish Christmas shopping, including awkward-to-buy-for menfolk
Very nearly finished. Feeling quite good about the presents we’ve chosen and the fact we’ve stuck to budget.

Find new home for cot-bed now that Aled has outgrown it
Sorted. And we received some money for it.

Get haircut
Yes I included ‘get haircut’ on my to do list. I wondered whether it was too trivial to include, but actually I had to summon up the wherewithall to do it. The thing is that I want to grow my short crop out into a short bob, and the last time I tried to do this it looked such a mess that I wimped out. But on Saturday I managed to get a haircut that actually looks quite nice. It is just about covering my ears at the front and has been cut shorter at the back. And I do feel way better about myself now I’ve done it.

This kitchen cupboard is no longer booby-trapped

Sort out kitchen
On Sunday morning I made significant progress with this. We no longer have booby-trapped cupboards so I can now open the doors without worrying that everything will fall out!

Arrange where we’re going to be when over the Christmas period
This is pretty much sorted. After much to-ing and fro-ing.

Write the blogposts I’ve promised other people I’ll write
The Valley – done.

I’ve been too busy with other parts of this challenge to finish writing the other posts, but I expect to do those before Christmas.

Summary
To me, this seems like very good progress with the to do list and I am feeling much better about myself and my home as a result. It is amazing how uplifting a bit of decluttering can be!

It has really helped to have the support of:

1. The_Last_Slayer permalink
    December 13, 2011 9:59 am

Well done on everything you achieved! I know what you mean by having to schedule a hair cut and I’m toying with having a load of my hair chopped off – if only to see if it helps calm the postnatal hair loss down! I also have a boobytrapped kitchen cupboard so that’s going on the next to do list!

• December 13, 2011 10:20 am

Thank you! I’m feeling so much better than I was before I started this challenge 🙂

Unlike you, I wasn’t brave enough to include the ‘before’ photos as well as the ‘after’ ones, because I was too ashamed of how my bedroom and kitchen were before I tackled them.

It’s so hard when working full-time to get anything done. I felt guilty if I spent weekend time sorting the kitchen out instead of playing with my son.

Good luck with your haircut and sorting your kitchen out!

2. Amanda @gidders1 permalink
    December 13, 2011 10:52 am

Fab VERY tidy Tupperware….off to tidy my Tupperware now! No really!!

• December 13, 2011 12:18 pm

LOL! The reason I took a photo is that I don’t expect it stay quite that tidy for long!

3. Soph permalink
    December 14, 2011 9:43 pm

can’t stop laughing at the ‘booby trapped’ kitchen cupboards; ours used to be like that also and well our tupperware shelf is still quite cluttered. Definitely need to sort our wardrobes though!

• December 19, 2011 4:00 pm

It is so nice being able to find a plastic container and matching lid without having to spend 10 minutes rootling through!
      Good luck with sorting out your wardrobes 🙂

• January 3, 2012 12:54 pm

I have a ‘cupboard of death’ too – one that is liable to throw crockery onto you every time you open it. I made the decision to put all the plastic stuff in it, just in case!

4. Soph permalink
    December 29, 2011 9:54 pm

Thanks. Well I managed to sort my wardrobe and drawers the other day-just had to be incredibly ruthless-managed to get together 3 bags of clothes for the charity shop just from my stuff 😮 and 1 huge ‘bag for life’ full of books

• December 30, 2011 4:40 pm

Well done you! I still need to do a lot more clearing out, but it helps that my weight seems to have settled down so that I no longer need to keep so many different sizes of clothing.

5. January 3, 2012 12:53 pm

I’m amazed that you managed to get so much stuff done! Well done. I am still struggling to get anywhere near the bottom of my to-do list. I think I need a PA…

• January 6, 2012 1:00 pm

I am pretty amazed as well, looking back on it. I still haven’t finished everything, but I feel I’ve made a really good start and got some momentum to carry on. Could still do with a PA though…

1. 12 days of Buffy « minibreak mummy