Magpie Monday – two pictures

October 31, 2011

Embroidered basket of flowers

I bought this embroidered picture of a basket of flowers in a local church sale, because I liked the look of it. I was going to give it to my mother-in-law but ended up keeping it for myself. It’s quite old-fashioned but beautifully-stitched and the colours of the flowers are lovely.

Ken Law print

I was very excited to find this small Ken Law print on blockboard in a charity shop. My mum had a larger version of this exact same print for the house I lived in when I was a child, along with another print by the same artist, but sadly both prints were given away. I googled ‘Ken Law’ to try to find out more about the artist and his work, but it turned out that there is very little information about him, other than this discussion on the 20th Century Forum. I’ll definitely be keeping an eye out for other Ken Law prints from now on.

Why not check out the other Magpie Monday finds this week at the Me & My Shadow blog?

1. October 31, 2011 10:04 am

Those colours on the embroidery are so bright – they sing out!

I really like your Ken Law print. I’ve not heard of him before – I wonder where he’s from. That street scene looks very familiar, like somewhere I know.

Thanks for linking up x

• November 1, 2011 10:45 am

Hi Liz

Always fun to link up with Magpie Monday 😉

According to the 20th Century Forum, the street scene is based on Hampstead High Street.

Ruth

2. Scarlet permalink
    October 31, 2011 12:46 pm

I love the Ken Law print , and the vibrant colours of the embroidery – I would have kept it too!

3. October 31, 2011 1:45 pm

I’d always assumed the Ken Law print at your house had come from Mum and Dad’s. It is a familiar and somehow comforting image that we grew up with, thanks for sharing sis.

• November 1, 2011 4:49 pm

It’s kind of a shame that Mum gave the Ken Law prints away but I guess there are also some advantages to having regular clearouts

4. October 31, 2011 3:51 pm

The embroidery piece is stunning someone put a lot work into this piece of art. I have not heard of Ken Law art but I must admit I like the print you found.

5. Soph permalink
    October 31, 2011 7:08 pm

Thank you! I knew that Ken Law print was of somewhere in London but couldn’t place where; I believe it is different pieces of Hampstead High Street put together; hence the disjointed look. The pub to the extreme right of the picture (the beigey, georgian looking building) still looks the same and is called ‘King William IV’

• November 1, 2011 4:49 pm

Thanks for the extra info sista Soph! One day I’ll get to Hampstead and check it out for myself.

6. November 1, 2011 3:01 pm

I like the nostalgic feel of the flower embroidery and church sales are always good for bargain finds. I can be any religion if it means picking up bargains.
    I love that Ken Law thing though, love it very much

7. Rachel permalink
    July 17, 2013 10:52 pm

Hi. I have a Hempstead print on backboard. Tried value it but can’t find anything online. Help.

8. Jeff permalink
    June 6, 2014 3:33 am

I do believe it is of Hampstead High street .
    My Nan and granddad had one on there wall all through my childhood .
    I love the picture and for some reason I always remembered the red post box in the centre of the picture.
    I own the picture now, Its on a large backboard and about 3 foot long and 10″ high ,