Magpie Monday – cross stitch & beading kits

October 17, 2011

It turns out that our local Oxfam shop is a really good source of cross stitch kits and other craft items. Perhaps there are people who buy too many kits and then decide that they need a clearout?

Ok, so maybe I don’t actually need any more cross stitch kits myself, and I usually try to resist buying more, but here are four kits that I just couldn’t leave behind when I spotted them at bargain prices.

The first is a traditional sampler kit designed by Moira Blackburn. The photo on the front shows a birth sampler for twins, but it could work equally well as a sampler to commemorate a wedding or other occasion just by changing the wording.

Sampler kit designed by Moira Blackburn

The other kits are to make two beaded bracelets and a baby accessories bag. I shall probably use the materials from these kits to make other things. The beads from the bracelet kits are beautiful colours and can be used to add sparkle and detail to cross-stitch cards. And the baby accessories bag kit contains some lovely threads which could be used in a variety of ways, whilst the bag itself might look better with a name and/or single picture.

I’ve taken photos of all four kits, front and back, so that the contents can be seen.

Beading and craft kits - fronts

Beading and craft kits - contents

I’ve joined this week’s link up with Magpie Monday at Me and My Shadow. There are some particularly lovely items today. I hope you will be inspired to look at what other people have found, and maybe even to link up a blogpost about your own second hand finds. You don’t have to be a ‘mummy blogger’ to do this, anyone can join in.

1. October 17, 2011 11:17 am

That sampler kit is stunning. Traditional and beautiful.

You’re very clever to buy kits to use them to make other things – I’d never have thought of that!

Thanks for linking up x

• October 17, 2011 1:43 pm

My pleasure, as always.

Buying kits and then using them to make other things starts to make good sense when the price is lower than it would be to buy the individual elements of the kit separately. E.g. the baby accessories bag kit for £3.99 was a bargain compared to paying 60p per skein for stranded cottons, plus whatever it would cost for the linen fabric the bag is made out of.

2. October 17, 2011 11:40 am

Really lovely, my local charity shop has lots of kits too. I sadly don’t have the paitence to make them.
    We have the most beautiful one that was made as a wedding gift for us and I will always treasure it for all the time and effort that the friend put into making it for us.

• October 17, 2011 6:11 pm

You’ve never struck me a someone lacking in patience 😉

A friend made a birth sampler for our son and it’s so beautiful
      (it was one of the first things I rescued when we had a small house fire last year)

3. October 17, 2011 12:34 pm

Lovely finds and very like some I managed to resist today but maybe I will pop back now lol

4. October 17, 2011 12:50 pm

Great kits. I used to do a lot of cross stitch…might get back into it. Fab post! x

• October 17, 2011 7:55 pm

Hope you do get back into it – there are some fab charts out there now and I’m sure you’d find something right up your street

5. October 17, 2011 2:09 pm

I love cross stitch too 🙂 I always find them minus their thread though or some other essential part!

• October 17, 2011 7:52 pm

well the really essential bit is the chart – anything else can be replaced
      but it is irritating to find bits missing – I got a Hardanger kit without the thread once

6. October 17, 2011 4:10 pm

what a lucky find, love cross stitch and beading. We do not often find kits at our shops, not complete any way 🙂

• October 17, 2011 7:50 pm

yes – I always head straight to that corner of the shop first now, just in case there are more crafting goodies
      I don’t buy everything I see there though – only if I think I’ll definitely use it

7. Kat got the cream permalink
    October 17, 2011 5:53 pm

Lovely! My charity shop recently had a basket full of beautiful rubber stamps for card decorating. I wonder if a shop/class had donated them or someone had just lost the bug. Anyway I snapped up a few!!

8. Scarlet permalink
    October 17, 2011 10:12 pm

Those are lovely! I found an embroidery kit at a carboot sale a few weeks ago for 20p. Someone had started it , but I bought it just for the thread as it contained quite a lot in some nice colours.

1. For People Who Magpie Monday – cross stitch & beading kits « minibreak mummy