Magpie Monday – Agatha Christie Collection

October 10, 2011

It started with just a little e-book I read on my Palm back in 2005. A Miss Marple story called ‘The Murder at the Vicarage’. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I’d borrowed lots of Christie murder mysteries from my local library when I was in my early teens but hadn’t really read them properly back then. At that point in my life I just wanted to know who dunnit and read them very fast to find out.

Reading ‘The Murder at the Vicarage’ again as an adult opened my eyes to the humour I hadn’t noticed before. ‘A Body in the Library’ was next. Another e-book. They had just started publishing them as e-books, but they weren’t publishing them fast enough so I had to progress onto the hard[copy] stuff to get my next fix. A little dose of Poirot or Marple or T&T Beresford helped me cope with the day.

The cheapest way to get the books was second hand, so I acquired a motley assortment of grotty, yellowing paperbacks with tiny print. But I began to yearn for a matching set. Then I remembered that there had been a part-work series of magazines called the ‘Agatha Christie Collection’ with every issue accompanied by a hard-back book. The magazines didn’t interest me, but I started to search eBay listings for the books and eventually managed to build up the complete set. They sit on my shelves looking rather smart with their black spines and gold lettering (although Aled delights in pulling them off the shelves and they are no longer in the right order).

And I keep reading them and re-reading my favourites, especially the ‘Miss Marple’ books. The front covers of these are shown in the second photo below.

It was especially nice to finally have a proper printed copy of ‘The Murder at the Vicarage’, because it is much easier to view the plan of the study on the printed page than it was to try to view it on the tiny screen of my old Palm!

Charity shops and second hand bookshops continue to be a good source of books relating to Agatha Christie, as the bottom photo shows. The bottom photo also includes my most recent purchase – the audiobook version of ‘The Secret of Chimneys’ read by Hugh Fraser (who played Hastings in the Poirot tv series).

The Agatha Christie Collection looks nice on my shelves

The ‘Miss Marple’ books

Plan of the vicarage study

A few of my other second hand finds relating to Agatha Christie

I’m linking up with Magpie Monday at Me and My Shadow again. As always, I would encourage you to have a look at the other Magpie Monday posts this week – there are always some really wonderful finds!

1. October 10, 2011 8:40 am

Wow, what a fantastic collection! Lovely books x

• October 10, 2011 7:40 pm

Thanks! I thought some folks might think this was a bit dull, so it’s nice to have you agreeing these books are lovely.

2. October 10, 2011 10:39 am

What an amazing collection! Well done for building that up through ebay – bet it took you ages!

I confess I’ve never read an AC, although have watched many films. You’ve made me want to go out and get a few copies!

Thanks for linking up x

• October 10, 2011 7:55 pm

It did take me a while yes. I should have just bought the part-work when it first came out!

If you do try reading an AC let me know how you get on. They tend to be fairly quick and easy to read. And they’re very evocative of the time in which they were written.

3. October 10, 2011 5:59 pm

Wow what a fantastic collection!! I’m quite envious! I’m no collecter but I often buy old books which interest me when i see them, i love the fact they’ve got a past! AC is fab, infact i may have to hunt some out this week! x

4. October 10, 2011 6:11 pm

I like this post and its theme. I used to read Agatha Christie in my teens too and may revisit in view of your post

• October 10, 2011 7:57 pm

Thanks! I make no claim to them being great works of literature, but they’re generally fun to read. And the bad guy(s) usually get their comeuppance, which is quite comforting.

5. October 10, 2011 7:43 pm

Glad to read that someone else is ever so slightly addicted to Agatha Christie šŸ™‚ I don’t have your fantastic collection of books but I do take a bit of a constant ribbing from him indoors about my sad middle aged taste in books!

• October 10, 2011 8:06 pm

Good to hear I’m not the only one šŸ˜‰ You read whatever you enjoy reading!

That reminds me, people are apparently buying a wider range of books to read on the Kindle cos then no-one can see what they’re reading – whether it’s Mills & Boon or ‘War & Peace’ šŸ˜‰

6. frances Eastwell permalink
    December 13, 2011 10:24 pm

Like you I love her books, I have ‘most’ of the collection but I cannot find a full list of the books in the series, do you have link so I can work out which ones I still need to find?

• February 1, 2012 10:04 am

I don’t know where there is a list of the full collection. I just kept buying them on eBay until there were no more books available that I hadn’t got.

There is a complete list of all Christie’s published works here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agatha_Christie_bibliography

but some books in the collection I have don’t exactly match up (e.g. the short stories are collected differently)

7. January 31, 2012 8:12 pm

An amazing collection! They look very distinguished on your shelves. I haven’t read many (if any?) Miss Marple books – it was always Poirot for me šŸ™‚ Thanks for entering this post in the LAB showcase.

• February 1, 2012 10:05 am

Thank you for this and the tweet! Do try a Miss Marple or two – I get the sense that Christie had more fun writing them than some of the Poirot books. šŸ™‚

8. February 2, 2012 12:56 am

I would just love to have a ‘set’ of any books!

9. Sayantan Dasgupta permalink
    April 22, 2014 4:06 am

I have just started collecting books by Agatha Christie. They are nice books. Different from Holmes, but has a strong resemblence to the writings of Satyajit Ray. But I think Miss Marple is very sweet.

10. Brett Larned permalink
    October 12, 2014 12:23 am

I also have her entire collection in leatherback. It was a gift a long time ago when I was a little boy and since have read them very carefully to not crease a single one of them very awesome books

1. Magpie Monday – Sleeping Murder « minibreak mummy