Magpie Monday – portable typewriter

September 5, 2011

Today’s Magpie Monday post features a lovely 1970s portable Imperial typewriter which I found in mint condition on eBay (the person selling it suspected it had never been used). I was so excited to find this because it brings back happy memories of typing little books when I was a teenager using my uncle’s hand-me-down Olympus typewriter. I’m also hoping that I might get round to doing some typed labels for Christmas presents this year. I was impressed that it uses standard typewriter ribbons (still sold by Rymans) so it’s still usable.

Lovely blue case

With the lid taken off

It even has this little device to protect it

With a sheet of paper

Example of typing

1. September 5, 2011 7:46 pm

Yay!

Thanks for linking up. I found a little red typewriter similar to this a little while ago. I love the vintage effect you get from old fashioned typing and am trying to incorporate it into lots of craft projects!

Great ebay purchase, thanks for sharing.

• September 5, 2011 8:52 pm

Thanks!

Hope you get your house sorted soon, I hated it when I was staying somewhere temporary and couldn’t access all my stuff.

2. Mammasaurus permalink
    September 5, 2011 8:45 pm

That is so fab ! I want it !

I hadn’t heard of Magpie Monday before but I’ll have a bash next week – I have just the thing to post about too !

3. September 5, 2011 8:52 pm

Such a beautiful typewriter – I love it!

4. September 5, 2011 9:46 pm

Just looking at your typewriter took me back to my own childhood. I can even hear the clunking of the keys and the ‘Ting’ of the bell. I can remember getting covered in ink because mum told me to turn the ribbon upside-down to extend it’s life…..That ink was permenant! 🙂

• September 7, 2011 7:05 am

Whereas my nieces (aged 6 and 7) were astonished when they saw the typewriter and couldn’t believe people actually used them to write letter and books and plays and everything in the days before computers! Perhaps I should do an audioboo recording of the sounds of the typewriter just for you?

5. September 5, 2011 10:02 pm

Ooh it’s gorgeous!

6. September 6, 2011 6:32 pm

Saw one just like this in charity shop and said how they are coming back in with people. Think it was a tenner. Great you can still us it

• September 7, 2011 7:07 am

A tenner? I would have snapped it up for that price. It’s very nice to have one that works perfectly though, so I’m probably better off with the one I got.

1. Listography – top 5 keyword searches on my blog « minibreak mummy