Magpie Monday – handmade blankets

August 29, 2011

I love the idea of Magpie Monday, which was kicked off by Missie Lizzie on her Me and my shadow blog and is currently being hosted by Molly and the Princess. The idea is that you show off your second-hand treasures, whether found in charity shops, car boot sales, eBay or whatever. So here are photos of three different handmade blankets I purchased from Oxfam shops in Beeston and Bromsgrove.

All three photos show the relevant blanket draped over the settee in my caravan, where they help provide a bit of colour against the sea of beige (and I will use one or two of the blankets to provide extra warmth in the caravan when we go on holiday in the autumn to spring months). We also use all three blankets in the house and garden, and I’m always on the lookout for more!

Crocheted blanket

The crocheted blanket shown above is my favourite and I often use it as an extra layer on my bed. It’s very light in weight and I rather like the unusual combination of colours, including peachy pink and teal.

My son calls this blanket the ‘Elmer blanket’ because of the bright colours, which makes it look rather like Elmer the Patchwork Elephant. Because my son loves it so much he often has it as an extra layer on top of his thin duvet on his cot-bed. The stitching between the squares is pretty wonky, but that just adds to its charm!

Patchwork blanket made of knitted squares in mostly pastel shades

My most recent purchase is the blanket shown above. This one quite often gets used by people having a nap on the sofa in our lounge. This blanket is mostly made up of pastel shades, with the odd splash of bold pink or golden yellow. My 6 & 7 year old nieces seem to like this colour combination best, mainly because of all the pink squares I suspect. But I like it too, so I’m not going to let them have it – they can play with it anytime they visit.

Molly and the Princess

1. August 29, 2011 7:39 am

What very fine treasures…you get lots of use out of them too!
    They are all so individual, I would love to find a gorgeous soft handmade blanket like these.
    Very jealous of your caravan too!

• August 29, 2011 8:20 am

Thank you so much for your comment. We do get loads of use out of these blankets. Good luck with tracking down one of your own 🙂

I’ve checked out your blog and it looks good – will follow.

2. August 29, 2011 8:47 am

Your blankets are lovely! I’ve recently been knitting squares for blankets (for charity) so know the effort that goes into each one. I love the edging around the ‘Elmer’ blanket. You’ve made me long now for a caravan filled with colour! Thanks so much for linking up with Magpie Monday – it will be hosted back on Me and My Shadow next week – I hope you keep contributing more of your lovely finds 🙂 x

• August 29, 2011 9:39 am

Thanks for the comment and the tweet!
      I agree that loads of effort must have gone into making these blankets, and it feels good to be making use of them.
      Magpie Monday is ace – thanks for giving it a temporary home. And your blog is lovely, I particularly like the stationery and will probably be spending some money in The Paperie soon 😉

3. August 29, 2011 10:35 am

OOH, Love your blankets, especially the Elma one! The work it takes to knit these.

I would love to have an old caravan that I could “vintage” up and travel around in.

4. August 29, 2011 6:46 pm

I like the Elmer one best of all but they are all great. I have an unfinished one from my late Mum and just don’t know what to do with it as I don’t crochet.
    Nothing like a warm blanket.
    My finds this week are at http://gigglingatitall.blogspot.com

5. January 11, 2012 2:39 pm

Lovely! We recently inherited some homemade blankets from my Gran-in-law who sadly passed away – they now grace our beds as a reminder of her x

• January 12, 2012 10:10 pm

Hey Mammasaurus thanks for stopping by! Glad you have nice blankets too. Maybe you could do a blogpost or a video about them sometime?

1. Listography – top 5 keyword searches on my blog « minibreak mummy