So that was BritMums Live!
So I went to BritMums Live! on 22nd-23rd June.
Here are the reasons I was glad I did:
- the perfect opportunity to catch up with my good friends geekmummy and geekdaddy, who I first met at university many moons ago
- also chance to meet up and gossip with lots of other bloggers I’d already got to know at previous events
- chance to meet some bloggers I’d not previously met such Older Mum and Alice from More than Toast (and Older Mum was carrying the bag she bought after reading this review on my blog – how cool is that?)
- whooping and cheering as Helloitsgemma, Penny from AResidence, Mammasaurus and the Mummy Whisperer won their Brilliance in Blogging awards
- the special guests Ruby Wax, Sarah Brown, Katy Hill and Cherry Healey were all lovely and it was fascinating to hear what they had to say
- picking up lots of useful tips from the workshops, my faves included Julia Boggio’s session on photography, and Ruth Arnold’s session on videoblogging
- really amazing Bloggers’ Keynote session
- some interesting conversations with sponsors – including style advice from TK Maxx
- excellent items in the goody bags – will be blogging about some of the items that particularly impressed me and my son
- having a hotel room all to myself
And here are the things I wasn’t quite so impressed with:
- too many people and too much content – I had seriously run out of steam by the end
- some of the ‘Discussion Den’ sessions with multiple people talking were quite frustrating – e.g. I would have liked to heard more from Zoe Williams
- a strong sense that the only really good blogger is someone who pours their heart out about private matters when this has never been my style
- half-naked wine waiters with #winebuffs written on them – not funny and made me somewhat uncomfortable
- a trendy bar in the hotel and a firework display nearby did not make for a good night’s sleep
- the goody bags were extremely heavy and kept slipping off my shoulders – I could have done with chance to edit them before I headed home and I should have brought a wheelie suitcase with me to carry the really heavy items
I’ll be adding this post to the BritMums Live! linky – check there for lots of other perspectives on the event.