Magpie Monday – buttons etc.

April 2, 2012

The thing about Magpie Monday is that I end up coveting other people’s finds and trying to find similar items for myself. This time I’ve been inspired by Amanda’s buttons on The Ana Mum Diary. The local Oxfam shop currently has a big basket full of old buttons, grouped into little bags for £1.99 a bag. I could have bought the whole basket but I limited myself to just 3 bags, as this will be plenty to keep me going in button-based craft projects for a little while.

old buttons

old buttons spread out

At the same time, I grabbed a Jane Greenoff cross stitch kit for another £1.99.

Jane Greenoff cross stitch kit

The final item I found was a book called The Usborne Cookbook for Boys. Why boys need their own cookbook I don’t know, but there is a lovely selection of sweet and savory recipes with step by step photos and we thought it would be fun to try some of these out with Aled, who is just starting to become interested in cooking. This book is in absolutely pristine condition but cost £2.99 instead of the £9.99 it would have cost new.

Cookbook for Boys

So these are my pre-loved finds this week. What have you found?

I’m linking up with this week’s Magpie Monday at Me & My Shadow.

About these ads
  1. April 2, 2012 10:55 am

Haha, I’m with you – why a specific book for boys? It does look lovely though.

Now I’m coveting your buttons – have you got plans for them?

• April 8, 2012 7:50 am

Yes it is a lovely book.

I have lots of ideas about how to use the buttons – will keep you posted

2. April 2, 2012 1:21 pm

No idea why boys need their own cookery book, but it looks good – my two love baking and helping with the dinner.

• April 8, 2012 7:57 am

We only have a tiny kitchen but my son is getting interested in having a go so I’ll try to make a bit of space for him.

3. April 2, 2012 1:35 pm

Lovely selection, would have bought them all

• April 8, 2012 8:03 am

Thanks! The cross stitch kit may end up being adapted for another design if I can work out how.

4. April 2, 2012 3:09 pm

ooooh button envy ;) grt finds!

5. April 2, 2012 5:45 pm

Usborne cookbooks are fantastic, I had one when I was little, and I’ve bought one for Squeaky, when I can coax her into the kitchen for something other than chocolate.

• April 8, 2012 8:04 am

I’m thinking of starting with one of the chocolate recipes cos my little boy loves chocolate too

6. April 4, 2012 10:38 pm

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, buttons! Love them!

7. April 6, 2012 9:32 pm

The cook book looks fab!
    Also like all of the buttons, there are gazzilion things that spring to mind when I see those buttons- though none of them involve sewing lol

8. April 7, 2012 8:19 am

Thank you so much for the mention! Ooh, I wonder what you will do with them?!
    Great cross stitch too, not done one of those for years!

• April 8, 2012 8:13 am

Well I’ll probably nick some ideas from you and other button-loving bloggers as to how to use these buttons – will report back.

I’m doing more cross stitch these days since I’ve found out that it’s actually possible to stitch simple stuff with a toddler around.

1. Magpie Monday – the joy of charity shops « minibreak mummy

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 136 other followers