Magpie Monday – Buxton buys and a couple of other items

October 3, 2011

Today’s Magpie Monday post features three items found on a recent weekend trip to Buxton, plus a couple of other items.

The first item from Buxton was a complete and utter bargain. This Elmer the Elephant money tin only cost £1.10 from a charity shop. It was covered in dust but scrubbed up well. My little boy loves Elmer and he is just starting to get interested in coins and money, so I was really pleased to find this. And I was even more pleased when I saw the excited reaction from my son when I handed it to him.

Elmer money tin

The next purchase was from the Buxton Antique & Collectors Fair in the Pavilion Gardens. I was very excited to find a lovely silver bracelet that reminded me of Granny Cox (my late great-grandmother) used to own. She had used hers as an identity bracelet during the 1940s war years. This example is more recent than that, having been made in 1965 in Birmingham. But if anything I liked it even more than Granny’s so I was very happy when H agreed that I could have this one as a birthday present.

Bracelet

Wearing bracelet

Another item purchased from the Antique & Collectors Fair was an old wooden box with a lift-out tray. I have a bit of a soft spot for wooden boxes and use them to store small crafting and stationery items.

Wooden box

Lift-out tray inside box

I thought I’d also include another couple of items that I found recently, rather than include them in separate posts. The first is a big mug that I purchased from a brick-a-brack table at one of our choir rehearsals.

Large yellow

And the final item was a little heart-shaped pot purchased for £1.50 from a charity shop in Windermere when we stayed there for a recent holiday with friends.

Heart-shaped ceramic pot

Do take a look at the other Magpie Monday posts this week – there are some lovely items!

About these ads
  1. October 3, 2011 2:51 pm

Your wooden box is beautiful – I can imagine it filled with crafty treasure!

Adore your silver bangle – Happy birthday!

But my favourite (I’m with your son) is the Elmer money box! x

• October 3, 2011 3:18 pm

There are loads of charity shops in Buxton but they were mostly full of dross that day and I nearly whooped for joy when I saw the Elmer money box!

2. October 3, 2011 4:12 pm

gorgeous finds sis… I love your new banner too… I think I may be troubling sister Alice for a profile pig logo for http://www.facebook.com/GlossySwaps

• October 5, 2011 8:47 pm

Thanks! Glad you like the banner. I’m sure Alice will do you a good logo for Beauty Box Swaps!

3. October 3, 2011 7:18 pm

I love all your finds, but especially the wooden box – the lift out tray makes it extra special. I’m already dreaming about what I would use it for if it was mine!

• October 5, 2011 8:49 pm

It caught my eye even before I saw the lift out tray but it was definitely the lift out tray that persuaded me to actually part with a tenner for it ;-)

4. October 3, 2011 8:59 pm

After reading this post, I did think…I bet Molly will love the box! It really is beautiful.
    My favourite is the bangle though, love that it reminds you of your Grandma…and the really lovely pattern on it! Great finds xx

• October 6, 2011 6:54 am

Yes I’m very pleased with both items, especially the bracelet (which looks even nicer in real life than in the photos)

5. October 3, 2011 9:53 pm

That bracelet is GORGEOUS! I would wear it everyday. Great finds!

6. October 3, 2011 10:20 pm

Love the elmer money box, and like you I’m a sucker for a wooden box :-)

• October 6, 2011 6:51 am

The Elmer money box is continuing to be a big hit with my son.

I do get teased sometimes about my wooden boxes but that’s a small price to pay ;-)

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 138 other followers